THE SPIRITUAL CONVERSATION WITH THE DIVINE ESSENCE
( WAHAM )
Waham refers to presumption and thought. Auhaam is its plural. In the terminology of Faqr, waham points to that particular state of the seeker of Allah in which whatever questions he faces, in both his physical and spiritual self, he gets their answers from the Divine court. In other words, waham means having spiritual conversation with Allah Almighty. Sultan ul Arifeen Sultan Bahoo entitles this conversation as ‘the journey of auhaam’.
Prophet Moses was famous by the title of Kaleemullah (the one who talks to Allah) because he used to talk to Allah. He would visit Mount Sinai at a specific time and offer supererogatory prayer after ablution. Then he would get attentive towards Allah. An aura of engrossment enveloped him and his conversation with Allah started. Even today, the Fakirs and Mystics focus their attention towards Allah and converse with Him, which is the journey of auhaam as described by Sultan Bahoo.
According to Sultan ul Arifeen Sultan Bahoo:
- Auhaam is in fact the seeing, hearing, speaking and understanding of the inward. (Sultan-ul-Waham)
- It is the honour of the Saints of Mohammadan umma that their existence is like the Mount Sinai. Just as Prophet Moses went to Mount Sinai to talk to Allah, these Saints talk to Allah in their existence. (Kaleed-ul-Tauheed Kalan)
Quran and Hadith
Allah says in the Holy Quran:
وَ مَا کَانَ لِبَشَرٍ اَنۡ یُّکَلِّمَہُ اللّٰہُ اِلَّا وَحۡیًا اَوۡ مِنۡ وَّرَآیِٔ حِجَابٍ اَوۡ یُرۡسِلَ رَسُوۡلًا فَیُوۡحِیَ بِاِذۡنِہٖ مَا یَشَآءُ ؕ اِنَّہٗ عَلِیٌّ حَکِیۡمٌ ۔
Meaning: And every man does not have the faculty that Allah should speak to him except by revelation or from behind a veil (as he spoke to Moses) or by sending some angel as a messenger to reveals with His permission what Allah may will. Surely, He is the most High, most Wise. (Ash-Shura 51)
The Holy Prophet said:
Narrated Adi bin Hatim: Allah’s Messenger said, “There will be none among you but his Lord will speak to him, and there will be no interpreter between them nor a veil to veil Him.” (Bukhari 7443)
Ibn Arabi says in Fusus al-Hikam:
- Auhaam (inward conversation with Allah) makes gnosis of Allah far more firm and stronger than just contemplation. That is why in the nature of mankind, the dynasty of waham overpowers intelligence. This is so because the intelligent person may acquire the supreme level of wisdom but he is without the sovereignty of waham. Whichever things intellect comprehends by intellect, waham retells them in form and shape (appearance). Hence in the perfect appearance of man, waham is its dynasty and is powerful.
- Eternal reflection, focus and engrossment are the great sultans in the form of the Universal Divine Man or al-Insan al-Kamil. That is to say, the perfection owned by him is due to waham. Waham refers to eternal thought and absorption which is the result of Divine love.
- When Allah Almighty lifts the veil of waham from the soul of the Mystic, he comes to know the secret that the Divine Essence which he considered distant from the mankind and himself, actually manifests in his inward. This is the peak of gnosis. (Sharah Fusus al-Hikam Wal Aiqaan)
Syed Abdul Karim bin Ibrahim al-Jili
Syed Abdul Karim bin Ibrahim al-Jili writes about waham in his book Insan-e-Kamil:
- Allah created the waham of Prophet Mohammad from His perfect name (Hoo) and from the light of his waham, Allah created angel Azrael (which means that Azrael is the angel of waham because he has more knowledge of souls by virtue of seizing them). Since Allah created the waham of Prophet Mohammad from His Own perfect light, therefore He made him exist in the world in the perfect physical dress (body). (Insan-e-Kamil – Translated by Fazal Meeran, published by Nafees Academy Karachi)
Light of waham is mirror for the Divine Self
Syed Abdul Karim bin Ibrahim al-Jili further states:
- One should know that Allah made light of waham like a mirror for His Self and has called it the manifestation of His sanctity. There is no other sagacity in the entire world greater than this, nor is there any other such powerful custodian (of soul). Everything that exists, possesses it and it is because of this, that the whole world worships Allah. It was due to its Divine light that Allah glanced towards Adam. Whoever walks on water, walks due to it and whoever flew in the air, flew with its help. It is the light of faith and the essence of the supremacy of dignity. Whoever subdues this light and wins over it, gets authority over all the superior and inferior creations. Whoever is predominated by sultan of waham (the perfect spiritual guide) converses with Allah about the esoteric matters (through waham or spiritual conversation).
- When Allah created waham, He addressed it: I swear! I shall not enlighten the people of conformation through anything except you. I will not manifest Myself in the world but only through the cover of your secrecy. (Insan-e-Kamil – Translated by Fazal Meeran, published by Nafees Academy Karachi)
What is waham / auham?
The process of revelations and the descending of angels came to an end with the sacred demise of the seal of the Prophets ‘Mohammad’. Even today Allah converses with Fakirs from behind a veil. This conversation is the journey of auhaam and auhaam is nearest to the station of union with Allah. This is the station of Divine Uniqueness and its center is the inward. Through persistent invocation and contemplation of Ism-e-Allah Zaat, the Ism-e-Allah Zaat retains in the inward of the seeker and enlivens his soul. The inward finds strength because of Divine love and the seeker receives eternal presence in the court of Allah and achieves the level of auham. Where he receives the answers of all his questions from the Divine court.
Discussion about Divine secrets starts between the lover and Beloved
Seeker experiences aforementioned and pleasant moments in the path of Faqr when he remains engrossed in conversation with Allah all the time. At this point, an interesting and exhilarating discussion about Divine secrets starts between the lover and Beloved, the seeker and Allah. Here the faith of the believer goes through a trial and Allah judges his courage, belief and trust.
Allah showers him with the Divine lights of theophanies. Sometimes his soul bruised with the arrows of coquetries and at times the bounties of the exhilarating syrup of sweet speech poured onto him which augments his soul. At this station, the lover is like the classic tales of candle and moth or rose and nightingale and Allah bestows with His special attention.
Sometimes he gets the honour by the splendid sights of unveiled luster of the majestic beauty that creates a state of passion in his soul, and then he reduces to ashes by the fire of separation from the Beloved. At this point such a relationship develops between the slave and the Lord or lover and the Beloved, in which thousands of facts and secrets reveal upon him. Inspirational knowledge and the knowledge of Divine secrets are gifted to him and he is entertained with many kinds of theophanies.
Sometimes the lightning of grandeur and magnificence descends upon him and at times the charisma of magnificent beauty delights him.
Both beauty (jamal) and majesty (jalal) are endeared to the seeker
At times the arrows of separation and alienation showers upon him and at times he is satiated with the wine of Divine union. Sometimes he captivates by the black beauty of the ensnaring hair locks. Moreover at times his soul enlivens by the light of the lustrous face of the Beloved. Sometimes he is tried with distance and at times graced with nearness. At times he enraptures by the forgetfulness of his being, deep engrossment and absorption and at times consumed by the fire of awe and fright.
Sometimes he is invited to be sacrificed like a nightingale on the flower-like countenance and at times he is burnt madly like a moth over the candle of the Divine beauty.
In short, the styles and sportiveness of the real Beloved are varied but the true lover is happy with all of them. Hence, both the beauty and wrath of the Beloved are near to him. During the closeness he observes the attribute of His magnificence while being distant observes His beauty and vice versa.
All objectives are to get the approval of the Beloved
The basis of all his crying and grief, separation and union, passion and ecstasy, Divine aspiration and anxiety, knowledge and wisdom, struggle and endeavours, sacrifice and devotion, shelter and refuge, life and honour, grandeur and splendour, greatness and respect, religion and faith, prestige and modesty, piousness and God fearingness, hajj and zakat, fasts and salats and the main objective of his life and death are only to gain the pleasure and approval of his real Beloved.
It is in a Qudsi Hadith
اَنَا عِنْدَ ظَنِّ عَبْدِی بِی
Meaning: I am to My slave as he thinks of Me. (Bukhari-7505)
Whatever a man supposes about Allah, He treats him accordingly. If he wants Divine inspiration, He descends inspiration upon him. Remember! Divine inspiration is one sided as Allah puts a virtuous thought in his slave’s mind. While intuition or wish means whatever somebody wants (in the form of knowledge or blessing respectively) finds its blessing. While unveiling is to know the hidden secrets, but waham is the superior station among all of them, as in it, inner conversation with Allah every moment. Now it depends upon the seeker, what does he want? Since it is;
ِٔاَلسَّکُوْتُ حَرَامٌ عَلٰی قُلُوْبِ الْاَوْلِیَآ
Meaning: Stagnation is forbidden for the souls of Saints.
Therefore, they cannot stay at one spiritual station. Thus one should progress from inspiration towards intuition and then from intuition to waham.
Sultan ul Arifeen Sultan Bahoo and Waham
Get waham from Divine waham
Sultan Bahoo said:
- Allah says;
فَاذۡکُرُوۡنِیۡۤ اَذۡکُرۡکُمۡ وَ اشۡکُرُوۡا لِیۡ وَ لَا تَکۡفُرُوۡنِ ﴿۱۵۲﴾
Meaning: So remember Me, I shall remember you. (Al-Baqarah: 152)
Listen O’ imperfect miser! The way of perfect ones which leads to the magnificent Lord is that they get waham from Divine waham, awareness from the Divine awareness and reasoning from the Divine reasoning. This way is verified by the Islamic creed لَآ اِلٰہَ اِلَّا اللّٰہُ مُحَمَّدٌ رَّسُوْلُ اللّٰہ and Ism-e-Allah Zaat اللّٰہُ . (Kaleed-ul-Tauheed Kalan)
The shortest and quickest way is through inward
Sultan ul Arifeen Sultan Bahoo says in his book Sultan-ul-Waham:
- O’ dear! Let me briefly elaborate the way of auhaam. You must understand that the quickest and shortest mystic way which leads to the Divine Reality is only through the inward (and soul). Reaching close to Allah through any other way is impossible. As, the spiritual journey is possible only for the soul. The soul cannot cover this journey without the guidance of sultan of waham who is the king of perception, Allah says:
اَنَا عِنْدَ ظَنِّ عَبْدِی بِی
Meaning: I am to My slave as he thinks of Me.
This means the clearer and finer your perception is the stronger is your waham. Without the sultan of waham, it is impossible to step into the grand spiritual kingdom. The following saying endorses this fact:
وَلِذٰلِکَ کَمَا کَانَتْ اَوْھَامُ اَقْوٰی سُلْطَانًا فِیْ ھٰذِہٖ نِشْأ ۃٍ
Meaning: The sultan of waham is the most powerful entity who is dominant over all the aspects of the mystic way. (Sultan-ul-Waham)
Signs of the perfect spiritual guide
- The sign of a perfect spiritual guide who is One with Allah, is that he opens the inward avenue and leads his disciples towards the spiritual world of The disciple then covers the spiritual journey inwardly according to his capability and courage and finds the eternal bliss. Opening the esoteric way actually means giving life to the inward and the soul, as is said about the spiritual guide:
اَلشَّیْخُ یُحْیٖ وَیُمِیْتُ
Meaning: The spiritual guide is the giver of life (to the soul) and death (to the inciting innerself).
He enlivens the soul of the disciple by his spiritual authority through waham and permanent remembrance of Allah. It is in such a way that none of the disciple’s breath leaves without the remembrance of Allah. Moreover he eternally remains connected with Allah through waham and remains in this state forever. He gains an enlightened insight with which he can view all the spiritual worlds and finds the blessing of the vision of the Divine beauty. The Holy Prophet who is the perfect spiritual guide for everyone, points towards the life of the inward by saying:
رَاْیِٔ قَلْبِیْ رَبِّیْ
Meaning: My inward viewed my Holy Lord.
The following saying of Prophet David also gives the same meanings:
اُوْحِیَ بِرُؤْیَتِیْ اللّٰہِ تَعَا لٰی اَنْظَرِیْ مَعْرِفَتْنِیْ قُلْتُ لَاَرُؤْ یَتُ قَالَ قَلْبُکَ فِیْ شَاھِدَتِیْ وَبِرُ ؤْ یَتِیْ
Meaning: Allah descended a revelation upon me and asked, “Did you have My vision and get My gnosis?” I replied, “No”. Allah said, “Your inward views Me, you can also have My vision in your inward.”(Sultan-ul-Waham)
Perseverantly continue the journey of waham
- O dear! The spiritual journey through waham is the way of Prophets and Saints. If this spiritual journey is discontinued, the traveller of the mystic way suffers loss because he is left behind in the spiritual world, as a Hadith says:
مَنِ اسْتَوٰی یَوْمَاہُ فَھُوَمَغْبُوْنٌ
Meaning: One who stays at a station for two days suffers loss.
It is unlawful for the mystic travellers to go against the rule stated in the following Hadith:
ِٔاَلسَّکُوْتُ حَرَامٌ عَلٰی قُلُوْبِ الْاَوْلِیَآ
Meaning: Stagnation is forbidden for the souls of Saints.
Hence, the mystic traveller should always try to acquire and continue his spiritual journey under the supervision and guidance of sultan of waham. There are three levels of this spiritual journey on the basis of the following Hadiths:
تَفَکَّرُ سَاعَۃٍ خَیْرٌ مِّنْ عِبَادَۃِ سَنَۃٍ
Meaning: Concentration for a moment is better than the worship of a year.
تَفَکَّرُ سَاعَۃٍ خَیْرٌ مِّنْ عِبَادَۃِ سِتِّیْنَ سَنَۃٍ
Meaning: Concentration of a moment is better than the worship of seventy years.
تَفَکَّرُ سَاعَۃٍ خَیْرٌ مِّنْ عِبَادَۃِ الثَّقَلَیْنِ
Meaning: Concentration of a moment is better than the worship of both the worlds.
Sultan Bahoo continued:
These are the levels of spiritual concentration of the mystic travellers at initial, middle and final stages respectively. The concentration of the mystic traveller who is at the initial stage of spiritual journey is equal to the worship of one year, the concentration of the traveller who is at the middle stage of spiritual journey is equal to the worship of seventy years while concentration of the traveller at final level is equal to the worship of all the humans and jinn. (Sultan-ul-Waham)
The way to union and gnosis of Allah
- O dear! You must know the way to union and gnosis of Allah and how one can attain it. This is the way of having vision of Allah in the inward and the seeker should cover it under the supervision of the perfect spiritual guide who leads this way. Although, the seeker progresses on this way according to his courage. The following sayings explain my words:
فَالْوَ ھْمُ ھُوَ السُّلْطَانَ الْاَ عْظَمُ فِیْ ھٰذِہِ الشَّارَتِ الصُّوْرَتِ الْکَامِلَۃِ الْاَنْبِیَآ ِ ٔ
Meaning: The greatest sultan of this way is the waham and its perfect incarnation are the Prophets.
اَلشَّیْخُ فِیْ قَوْمِہٖ کَالنَّبِیُّ فِیْ اُمَّتِہٖ
Meaning: The spiritual guide among his disciples is like a Prophet among his nation.
Hence, just like the Holy Prophet was a guide for his Companions similarly the spiritual guide is the leader for his disciples. It is dangerous to cover a way without a guide (as one can get depraved or trapped). A seeker can attain closeness of Allah by renouncing his inciting innerself. Once Bayazid Bastami asked Allah, “How can I reach close to You?” Allah said,
دَعَ نَفْسَکَ وَ تَعَالْ
Meaning: Leave your innerself and be exalted.
Hamadani stated in his book Ayn al-Quzat, “The way to Allah neither goes from the Throne nor from the east, west, north or south. It is within your inward. Search your inward and find it.”
Sultan Bahoo continued:
So a seeker of Allah should always try to progress on the way of gnosis and union of Allah through the inward deeds such as waham. Those who remain busy in physical and outward acts without paying any heed to reform their esoteric self and are unaware of the spiritual world of auhaam, have wasted their whole life. A rule is that when you see a Fakir who shows off that he is taking much pain in physical worships but is not trying to improve inwardly, then understand that he is worthless and good for nothing. (Sultan-ul-Waham)
Foremost requirement of spiritual journey is the perfect spiritual guide
- Sultan ul Arifeen Sultan Bahoo explained more about waham:
اِعْلَمْ رِزْقُ اللّٰہِ سَیْرُ الْقَلْبِ بِسُلْطَانُ الْوَھَمِ بِلَا اِسْتَوَا وَقَصُوْرٌ
Meaning: Spiritual journey of the inward can be travelled only under the guidance of sultan of waham without any medium or mediation and it grants the knowledge of Allah and spiritual strength.
O dear! The foremost requirement of this spiritual journey is the perfect spiritual guide. Travelling this way without him is painful and brings only disappointment. However, when a true seeker holds the hand of perfect spiritual guide and follows him sincerely, the spiritual guide himself confers the blessing of auhaam upon the seeker by his spiritual authority and makes his inward perfect for it, so that the seeker’s soul is set on the eternal spiritual journey through waham. The spiritual guide makes the seeker cover all the waystations according to his courage and capability. It is ordered:
اَصْبَحُوْ مَعَ اللّٰہِ وَاِنِ اسْتَطِیْعُوْ افَا صْبَحُوْا مَعَ اللّٰہِ مَنْ صَحَبَ اللّٰہِ
Meaning: Acquire the company of Allah, if you are not capable of this, then acquire the company of those who are close to Allah.
Sultan Bahoo continued:
When a true seeker acquires the company of perfect spiritual guide, firstly the spiritual guide starts the secret invocation inside him and lays the foundation of auhaam in his inward by his spiritual authority. Hence, the seeker becomes the invoker of Allah without any hard work and voluntarily remembers Allah with his each breath. He follows the rule mentioned in the Hadith:
اَ لْاَ نْفَاسُ مَعْدُوْدَ ۃٌ کُلُّ نَفْسٍ یَخْرُجُ بِغَیْرِ ذِکْرُ اللّٰہِ فَھُوَمَیِّتٌ
Meaning: Everyone has counted breaths. The breath which passes without the invocation of Allah is lifeless.
Hence, by remembering Allah with each breath, the inward and soul of the seeker wake up. It is in a Hadith:
اَلنَّاسُ یَنَا مُوْا فَاِ ذَا مَا تُوْ افَانْتَبِھُوْا
Meaning: People are sleeping (spiritually), when they die they wake up (their souls wake up).
The inward of the seeker wakes up from the deep slumber of ignorance from Allah and gains life, hence he verifies the verse:
اَوَ مَنْ کَانَ مَیْتًا فَاَ حْیَیْنٰہُ
Meaning: Can he who was dead (spiritually) then We gave him the life. (Al-An’am 122)
The following Hadith states:
اَلشَّیْخُ یُحْیٖ وَیُمِیْتُ اَیْ یُحْیِ الْقَلْبَ اَلْمَیِّتَ الْمُرِیْدُ بِذِکْرِاللّٰہِ
Meaning: The spiritual guide is giver of life and death, he gives life to the dead inward of the seeker by the invocation of Allah.
Sultan Bahoo explained elaborately about the perfect spiritual guide:
The spiritual guide enlivens the soul of the seeker by the gnosis of Allah, kills his inciting innerself and continues the invocation of Allah within him. Hence, the seeker confirms the grand status of the spiritual guide. Moreover the Islamic creed الذِّ کْرِ لَا اِلٰہَ اِلَّا اللّٰہُ مُحَمَّدٌ رَّسُوْلُ اللّٰہِ engraves on his inward according to the Hadith:
Meaning: The greatest invocation is La ilahaillaAllahu Mohammad ur Rasool Allah (None is worthy of worship but Allah and Mohammad is His Messenger)
By the spiritual authority of the spiritual guide, the invocation of Allah continues in every breath of the seeker and he remembers Allah while inhaling and exhaling, hence none of his breath leaves without remembering Allah. By the power of this state of waham, his inward enlivens. When he exhales, he does the invocation of (None is worthy of worship) through waham, due to which all the evil thoughts are removed from his inward and everything other than Allah is eliminated. When he inhales, his breath purifies of everything other than Allah and becomes replete with waham. As stated in a Hadith:
مَنْ اَحَبَّ شَیْئًا اَکْثَرَ ذِکْرُہٗ
Meaning: A person frequently remembers and mentions about the things he loves the most.
Thus, the remembrance of Allah is rooted deeply in the inward of the seeker. Allah says:
اَنَا جَلِیْسٌ مَنْ ذَکَرَنِیْ
Meaning: I am his companion who remembers Me.
Sultan Bahoo concludes by saying:
Hence, Allah accompanies him when he remembers Allah. His state complies with the saying:
Meaning: One who loves Allah is disgusted from everyone other than Allah.
He esoterically separates from everyone other than Allah. Additionally his inward gains eternal life which is the ultimate achievement for a seeker. It is related that four thousand scholars of mysticism unanimously agreed that the ultimate achievement of a seeker is that he always finds himself in the servitude of Allah. On achieving this level his waham is accomplished. (Sultan-ul-Waham)
Ism-e-Allah Zaat cleans one’s inward
- O dear! You must purify and sanctify your inward which has become polluted and rusty (due to the desires and love of this filthy world). When the disciple cleanses his inward according to the Hadith:
لِکُلِّ شَیْئٍ مَصْقَلَۃٌ وَ مَصْقَلَۃُ الْقَلْبِ ذِکْرُاللّٰہِ
Meaning: There is a burnisher for everything and the burnisher of inward is the invocation of Allah.
Then the mirror of his inward is enlightened and the theophanies of Allah appear in it. There remains no veil between the slave and the Lord.
سعدی حجاب نیست تو آئینہ صاف دار
زنگارخوردہ کے نماید جمالِ دوست
Explanation: O Saadi! There is no veil between you and Allah. You just keep the mirror of your inward clean as a rusty mirror cannot show the beauty of the Beloved. (Sultan-ul-Waham)
Waham expels everything other than Allah from inward
- When the light of invocation merges with the light of the Divine Essence, the invocation becomes the personal attribute of the inward of the seeker which never separates from it. The inward of the seeker then never stops doing the invocation and he gains the sanctification of innerself, purity of the inward and enlightenment of the soul due to the spiritual efficacy of waham. The waham expels everything other than Allah, which is utterly falsehood, from the inward of the seeker according to the verse:
وَ قُلۡ جَآءَ الۡحَقُّ وَ زَہَقَ الۡبَاطِلُ ؕ اِنَّ الۡبَاطِلَ کَانَ زَہُوۡقًا ۔
Meaning: And say, “The Truth has come and falsehood has fled. Surely falsehood has to perish.” (Bani Israil 81)
جائیکہ سلطان خیمہ زد غوغہ نماند
عام رانام و نشاں در دِل نماند
Explanation: Where the king encamps, there remains no noise. Similarly, when Allah enters the inward, there does not remain any sign of anything other than Allah. (Sultan-ul-Waham)
Concentration and meditation are important
Sultan ul Arifeen Sultan Bahoo says about the union with the Divine Singularity which is possible through meditation and invocation of auhaam:
1۔ تفکر باوہام وحدت دہد
رساند بہ بمولیٰ و از خود دہد
2. کہ وَھم است سلطان تفکر وزیر
تذکر بود لشکری تو دِل پذیر
3. تجرد و تفرد بکن زادِ راہ
بدیں توشہ و ہمت شود عین شاہ
4. و جود و ہمت رسانند بعالم وصال
تنت عین گردد ازصحبت کمال
5. چوں اوہام گردد یقین گیر من
چنان جملہ آید بتدبیر من
6. چوں سلطان و ہمت بہ یابدکمال
بہرِ ساعت آید بدِل صدجمال
7. بدین وَہمت خود را چو آراستی
وصولِ حقیقت بخود یافتی
- If concentration accompanies auhaam, it grants Divine Oneness and takes to Allah liberating from one’s ownself.
- In your existence waham is the sultan, concentration is its vizier and invocation is the great armed force (which fights against the Satan and the innerself).
- If you attain the spiritual levels of isolation and separation, then your waham will become divine by this provision.
- Your waham will take you to the world of Divine union and you will become the exact Essence when your union had perfected.
- As I obtained perfect belief upon my waham, all the solutions of my problems revealed upon me and I gained command over everything.
- The sultan of waham when attains excellence in your existence, hundreds of theophanies of Divine beauty appear in your inward every moment.
- When you adorn yourself with the power of waham, you find the blessing with the union of Reality within yourself. (Sultan-ul-Waham)
Who attains the status of auhaam, experiences different states
- The person who attains to this status (status of auhaam), he loses his spiritual peace and tranquility (his spiritual state never remains permanent, he is ever experiencing a different state). At times he is pessimistic and at times he is optimistic. Sometimes he is in a state of spiritual intoxication and at times he is in a state of sobriety, or returning to oneself. Sometimes being unconscious of his self. He becomes proud and carried away by self-conceit and sometimes becomes a possessor of eternal presence.
At times he is a person of the hidden and at times possessor of the Divine beauty and majesty. At times he is repentant and at times he becomes honourable and delighted. Sometimes by becoming a possessor of Divine observation. He relishes upon the flavours of Divine love. Hence his spiritual states keep switching so frequently till eternity that it is impossible to count them. (Mehak-ul-Faqr Kalan)
بہ اوہام حالش برآور توسیر
اگر وصل خواہی بروں شوزغیر
Explanation: By auhaam you pass through the spiritual states and if you want union with Allah, then be alienated from everything other than Allah. (Mahak-ul-Faqr Kalan)
Seeker who possesses waham
Sultan Bahoo says about the seeker who is the possessor of waham:
- Some seekers are the possessors of waham. He is the possessor of waham who is eager to gain Divine Oneness. His waham is the slayer of the innerself. (Mehak-ul-Faqr Kalan)
- The possessor of Divine presence gets waham from the station of Divine Uniqueness. As soon as the state of waham occurs, all his problems are solved immediately. Moreover by waham, every detail of his inner and physical self is unveiled upon him. (Kaleed-ul-Tauheed Kalan)
Sultan ul Arifeen Sultan Bahoo expresses about sultan-ul-waham in his book Qurb-e-Deedar:
- The Fakir who attains the ultimate level of Faqr that is the sultan of waham finds the blessing with the revelation of entire knowledge from the Divine closeness. The messengers from Allah bring infinite inspirations to him which contain the hidden and intuitive knowledge of religion. The immortal Mystics cover thousands, rather lacs and crores of spiritual stations in just a moment by the contemplation of Ism-e-Allah Zaat. The malice, hypocrisy, falsehood, filth, spite and the rust of evil thoughts as well as misapprehensions, satanic whispers and depraving obsessions completely exterminates from his existence. Except the Ism-e-Allah Zaat, there remains nothing in his enlightened inward. His inward finds the blessing of Divine presence. At this stage, his soul gains jamiat and he becomes an enlightened ruler upon the self. This level is of the Fakir who had annihilated in Allah. He can elevate his seekers to any level of Divine presence by the effect of his spiritual sight.
Sultan Bahoo further states:
If the veritable invoker blesses someone with his spiritual sight, it affects his whole existence. By inscribing the impression of Ism-e-Allah Zaat beautifully on the body with index finger, keeping it before eyes, it engraves upon the entire physical and spiritual being. Although, by the contemplation of Ism-e-Allah Zaat and the effect of the sight of spiritual guide, the dead inward of the disciple receives the warmth of invocation. Still this is an imperfect level. Disciple cannot trust it unless he has the observation of Divine presence and drowns in the gnosis of Allah. Moreover finds the blessing of presence in the Mohammadan Assembly. As, ego and undesirable temptations may arise in the beginner at this initial level keeping him away from the real Mohammadan Faqr and gnosis of Allah. (Qurb-e-Deedar)
The journey of auhaam is a great status in the path of Faqr. Moreover this is after the inward Divine presence. This is the blessing which takes the seeker to the station of annihilation in Allah.