Usually the abundance of riches or wealth is famous as worldliness but the Saint and Mystics define ‘worldliness’ as under:
- Everything which distracts or diverts the seeker’s ‘attention’ away from Allah towards itself is worldliness.
- As it is the saying of the Holy Prophet:
مَا شَغَلَکَ عَنِ اللّٰہِ فَھُوَ صَنَمُکَ۔
Meaning: The thing which involves you with itself diverting your attention away from Allah is your idol.
Sultan-ul-Faqr VI and renunciation of world
Sultan-ul-Faqr VI Sultan Mohammad Asghar Ali defines renunciation as:
- If you have wealth but you do not foster love for it and spend generously for the sake of Allah, it cannot be called worldliness. However if you make the worldly things as your necessity then all these things would turn to the worldliness. Thus evade yourself from the need of material things while living in this world. Just as a wild duck lives in water but does not drown into it. Get your destiny from the world, as if a crane while living on a riverside gets its livelihood from it but does not let itself drown.
Do your business of the world but for the sake of Allah; eat the livelihood of the world but for the sake of Allah; and move in the world but again for Allah. I do not ask to be alienated from the whole world but you must remember Allah while doing all your actions. Your inward should be attentive towards Allah and your hands towards the worldly affairs. (Sultan-ul-Faqr VI Sultan Mohammad Asghar Ali Life and Teachings)
Sultan-ul-Faqr VI says that everything that grabs attention is worldliness
Sultan Mohammad Asghar Ali further says:
- Everything which deviates the human soul from Allah and turns its attention towards itself is worldliness.
- Renouncing the world in fact means renunciation of the lust of worldly pleasures and the inner detachment from the world. Without renouncing the world there is no gnosis (marifa / marifat) of Allah. Same inward cannot retain both the love of world and Allah. (Sultan-ul-Faqr VI Sultan Mohammad Asghar Ali Life and Teachings)
Sultan-ul-Faqr VI tells how to live in world while renouncing it
Sultan Mohammad Asghar Ali guides beautifully and perfectly in this regard:
- The world is like a shadow. If you turn your back towards the sun then your shadow will come in front of you. If you go forward to catch your shadow it will run before you and you cannot catch it. However, if you turn your back to your shadow and walk facing the sun, the shadow will run after you. Similarly, if you turn your back towards Allah and run after the world, you can never have it. Though if you walk towards Allah turning back from the world, it will run after you.
- Live in the world like a wild duck lives in water, it does not drown while swimming.
- Live in the world like a boat floats on water. Consider the boat as your esoteric self and the water as the world. The boat is safe unless the water enters it. When water enters the boat, it definitely sinks. You are like a boat and the water is like the world. Save yourself from the world and its love. (Sultan-ul-Faqr VI Sultan Mohammad Asghar Ali Life and Teachings)
How the term ‘renunciation’ has been scandalized and its true meaning
Critics of spirituality and mysticism scandalized a lot the term ‘renunciation’ and they reject this term considering it monastic and un-Islamic. Actually the term renunciation was majorly misunderstood. According to the philosophy of Sufism, renunciation means, renouncing the lust of worldly pleasures which involve a person so much so that he forgets Allah. To earn material luxuries and honour, he is ready to do anything and his fear of displeasing Allah is no more. He is always trying to strengthen his worldly relationships, forgetting that his relationship with Allah is at stake. He struggles to please people of the world instead of Allah. Such an attitude takes man away from Allah.
What renunciation actually means?
To find Allah’s closeness, one must give up all worldly wishes. His only wish should be to please his Creator and the Master and find His closeness. For this, he does not need to leave the world and start living in caves. Rather he should live in the world and do all the required deeds but the intention behind every action should be to please Allah. He should love and obey his parents but for Allah, earn money to bring up his children to please Allah and should have good behavior with everyone only for the sake of Allah, so on and so forth.
He should live in the world but world should not live within him. Neither he should desire worldly pleasures nor should he run after them. This is what the term renunciation actually means according to the philosophy of the mysticism. It is the name of the inward detachment from everything except Allah and this also is the basis of Oneness of Allah (Tawhid / Tauheed) that is to love only Allah, to fear only Allah, to trust only Allah, to seek only Allah, instead of the immortal world and its relations or pleasures.
Renunciation of world in the Holy Quran
Mystics did not self-fabricate the term renunciation. Rather it is in the Quran.
Allah says in the Quran:
وَ مَا ہٰذِہِ الۡحَیٰوۃُ الدُّنۡیَاۤ اِلَّا لَہۡوٌ وَّ لَعِبٌ ؕ وَ اِنَّ الدَّارَ الۡاٰخِرَۃَ لَہِیَ الۡحَیَوَانُ ۘ لَوۡ کَانُوۡا یَعۡلَمُوۡنَ ﴿۶۴﴾
Meaning: And, (O people,) the life of this world is nothing but sport and pastime and the home of the hereafter is the only (true) life. Would that they knew (this secret)! (Al-Ankabut 64)
وَ مَا الۡحَیٰوۃُ الدُّنۡیَاۤ اِلَّا لَعِبٌ وَّ لَہۡوٌ ؕ وَ لَلدَّارُ الۡاٰخِرَۃُ خَیۡرٌ لِّلَّذِیۡنَ یَتَّقُوۡنَ ؕ اَفَلَا تَعۡقِلُوۡنَ ﴿۳۲﴾
Meaning: And (the luxury of) the worldly life is nothing but play and funfair, and certainly, it is the home of the hereafter which is better for the Godfearing. Do you not understand (this reality)? (Al-An’am 32)
اِعۡلَمُوۡۤا اَنَّمَا الۡحَیٰوۃُ الدُّنۡیَا لَعِبٌ وَّ لَہۡوٌ وَّ زِیۡنَۃٌ وَّ تَفَاخُرٌۢ بَیۡنَکُمۡ وَ تَکَاثُرٌ فِی الۡاَمۡوَالِ وَ الۡاَوۡلَادِ ؕ
Meaning: Know that the life of the world is nothing but a sport and pastime, and superficial beauty, and mutual boasting and self-praise, and ambition to excel in wealth and children over one another. (Al-Hadid 20)
زُیِّنَ لِلنَّاسِ حُبُّ الشَّہَوٰتِ مِنَ النِّسَآءِ وَ الۡبَنِیۡنَ وَ الۡقَنَاطِیۡرِ الۡمُقَنۡطَرَۃِ مِنَ الذَّہَبِ وَ الۡفِضَّۃِ وَ الۡخَیۡلِ الۡمُسَوَّمَۃِ وَ الۡاَنۡعَامِ وَ الۡحَرۡثِ ؕ ذٰلِکَ مَتَاعُ الۡحَیٰوۃِ الدُّنۡیَا ۚ وَ اللّٰہُ عِنۡدَہٗ حُسۡنُ الۡمَاٰبِ ﴿۱۴﴾
Meaning: (Excessively) attractive has been made, for the people, the love of lusts (that) include women, children, and hoarded treasures of gold and silver, and branded horses and cattle and crops. (All) this is the provision of the worldly life and with Allah is the best abode. (Aal-Imran 14)
Renunciation of the world in sacred Hadith
The Holy Prophet also called the love for the world as a big threat to the faith. The sacred sayings of the Holy Prophet in this context are:
- The world and everything which is in it are cursed. (Ibn-e-Maja)
Abu Huraira stated that the Holy Prophet had said:
- The world is a prison for faithful (Mumin / Momin) and a heaven for the infidel.
- The world is carrion and its lovers are dogs.
- World is the paradise of donkeys.
- The world is a kennel.
- The pleasure of the world is pork.
- The pleasures of the world are the conceited pride of the infidels.
- The world is the darkness of the inward.
When the Holy Prophet had a choice between the world and the hereafter, he preferred the hereafter. It is his saying, “If I order, the Mount Uhad would turn to gold but I do not desire the riches of the world.”
Renunciation is an inward state and does not imply wandering in jungles or leaving the world outwardly
According to aforementioned verses of the Holy Quran and the Hadiths proves that the Saints did not invent the term renunciation of the world themselves but it is exactly according to the Divine ordain. The Saints never suggest wandering into the jungles leaving the world (dunya). Rather abandoning the world means to abandon the greed of the world. To clarify, it means to remove the love of the world from the inward. Further for love of Allah to enter, the desire and love of the world needs eradication from the inward. Therefore it is essential to give up the love of the world, the worldly things and worldly relations from the inward to gain closeness to Allah.
Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani and renunciation of the world
Al-Ghawth al-Azam (Ghaus ul Azam) Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani expounds:
- The soul with love for the world remains veiled from the hereafter. Moreover the soul with the love of the hereafter remains veiled from Allah. As soon as love of the world goes on increasing, love of the hereafter keeps decreasing. Yet when the love of the hereafter increases, the love for Allah decreases. (Al-Fatah Rabbani Chapter 10)
Sayings on renunciation
Boo Ali Qalandri stated:
- You love Allah and the mean world simultaneously. This is only a whim and the madness. (Mathnavi)
Shaikh Fariduddin said:
- The world is a hidden fire in which all are burning except the lovers of the real Beloved.
Sultan ul Arifeen Sultan Bahoo and renunciation of the world
Sultan Bahoo also exhorted on renunciation of the appetites of the world in his teachings. He mentions the catastrophes of the world:
باھوؒ دنیا دانی چیست پر درد و بلا
می کند از ذکر و فکر حق جدا
Explanation: O Bahoo! Do you know, what is the reality of this world? It is full of calamities and grieves. It is such an evil which makes one oblivious of the invocation and reflection upon Allah. (Ain-ul-Faqr)
The difference between the common worldly people and the Prophets and Saints was mainly that the true Men of Allah never loved and desired the pleasures of the world while the common people did.
Treasures of enemies of the Prophet
Sultan Bahoo said:
- The treasure of Abu Jahl and Yazid was just gold and silver, and their army comprised of horses, elephants, servants and soldiers. While, patience and gratitude, invocation and contemplation, passion and Divine love, salat and fasts, Faqr and hunger, Quran and Hadith were the treasures of the Holy Prophet, Hasan ibn Ali and Husayn ibn Ali and their army comprised of the true believers and Companions. The medium of announcement for Abu Jahl and Yazid were the drums, trumpet and bugle while the medium of announcement for the Holy Prophet, Hasan ibn Ali and Husayn ibn Ali were and are the call of azan, loud invocation of Allah and slogan of Allah. The worldly kingdom and the worldly mediums of announcement are false and temporary while the kingdom and medium of announcement used by the Holy Prophet are everlasting. (Ain-ul-Faqr)
- One must know that the real enemy of the Holy Prophet was the worldly wealth. Had Abu Jahl been an indigent he would have followed the Holy Prophet. It was the worldly wealth that martyred Hasan ibn Ali and Husayn ibn Ali. (Ain-ul-Faqr)
Renunciation of world is compulsory to find nearness of Allah
Sultan ul Arifeen Sultan Bahoo said:
- One who does not eliminate the love of world from the inward can neither find nearness of Allah nor presence in the Mohammadan Assembly. Without renouncing the world, the invocation of Allah does not continue in every hair of the body and in the inward, neither gnosis of Allah and Faqr can be attained (Kaleed-ul-Tauheed Kalan)
Love of the world is a satanic ruse
Sultan Bahoo said:
- You must know that the inciting self, the Satan and the world, are together and one. Moreover this trio has made a front against man to turn him oblivious of the remembrance of Allah. (Asrar-e-Qadri)
- The love of world and religion cannot sustain in one inward. Just like one utensil cannot contain fire and water. (Ain-ul-Faqr)
World and its seekers as quoted by Sultan ul Arifeen Sultan Bahoo
Sultan Bahoo stated about the world and the seeker of the world in his book titled Ain-ul-Faqr:
- The seekers of world are either hypocrites or pretenders.
- The world is a Satan and its seekers are devils.
- The world is violence and rebellion and its seekers are rebellious.
- This world is a hypocrisy and its seekers are hypocrites.
- The world is an impurity and its seekers are impure.
- The world is a lie and its seekers are liars.
- World is polytheism and its seekers are polytheists.
- The world is an evil and its seekers are also evil.
- The world is a curse and its seekers are accursed.
- Only the irreligious and disobedient fools love the worldly riches.
- The world is an ignorance and its seekers are ignorant.
- The world is a prostitute and a worldly man is a cuckold who sees his whore wife in the sensual company of others but does not object.
- World is duality (it means opposite of Tawhid) and separation from Allah. One who indulges in duality and separates from Allah is actually on the way of Satan.
- The world is a heresy and its seeker is an atheist.
Love of the world is filth which must be removed so Allah adorns the tablet of inward
He further says:
ہر کہ در مردار غرق است کے شود دیدار جو
غیر ﷲ ہرچہ باشد دفترے از دِل بشو
Explanation: How can the person drowned in the carrion world attain the Divine vision? To have this blessing, you will have to erase everything other than Allah from your inward. (Kaleed-ul-Tauheed Kalan)
- Allah does not bless the inward with His attention which is brimming with the sensual desires of the inciting innerself, darkness of satanic thoughts and the filth of worldly love. (Ain-ul-Faqr)
Sultan ul Arifeen Sultan Bahoo said:
- One who abstains from sensual desires becomes a man of passion for Allah, one who leaves the world is a man of fervour, one who separates from everything other than Allah is a man of longing and yearning, and Allah blesses the one with his love who protects himself from all these evils. (Ain-ul-Faqr)
- The Holy Prophet said:
“Renunciation of the world is the root of all the prayers and love of the world is the root of all the evils.”
Almost one lac twenty four thousand Prophets from Prophet Adam to Prophet Mohammad said the same thing and ordered to renounce the world. Even then why do you err to go against all of them? (Mehak-ul-Faqr Kalan)
What the letters of the word ‘world (dunya دنیا )’ represent?
Sultan Bahoo said:
The Arabic word for world is dunya written as دنیا : (DU) د , (N) ن , (Y) ی , (A) ا . Letter (DU) represents that the world has no faith. Whereas Letter ن (N) refers to the fact that the world is disobedient towards Allah and is Pharaoh. The letter ی (Y) means the world is the unique friend of the devil and the letter ا (A) tells that the world is cruel and killer.
O foolish! Only that person succeeds to abandon the world and escapes from its trap who truly follows the true faith. (Mehak-ul-Faqr Kalan)
What the letters of the word faith (deen دین ) represent?
The Arabic word for faith is deen written as دین : (D) , ی (EE), ن (N). Its first letter د (D) means man follows faith of having gnosis of Allah, become His ardent lover and also the seeker of the Holy Prophet. By letter ی (EE) means that the faith makes the man friend of Allah, of believers and Muslims. Letter (N) means faith purifies the intentions of the seeker and makes him a possessor of clean faith and a well-wisher. Every generous person, Dervish and the one who follows true faith inwardly by quitting the world liberates from the worldly dangers. He wears the dress of Faqr with all of his sincerity and acquires a true and right belief in Allah. Then Allah says:
“O my angels! One of my slaves is alienated from the carcass, filthy and impure world only for the sake of my friendship.”
Allah orders the souls of the Prophets, Saints, pious ones and all true Muslims along with all the creatures of the eighteen thousand realms:
“Visit my friend, guide him and encourage him for his spiritual resolve and just put on the same tattered and humble dress as he is wearing.”
Fakir has blessing of all these levels in the very beginning (of his journey). (Mehak-ul-Faqr Kalan)
Filth of worldliness cannot by cleaned by hard mystic exercises
Sultan ul Arifeen Sultan Bahoo expressed in his Punjabi couplet:
ایہہ دُنیا زَن حیض پلیتی‘ کتنی مل مل دھوون ھُو
دنیا کارن عالم فاضل، گوشے بہہ بہہ روون ھُو
جیندے گھر وِچ بوہتی دنیا، اوکھے گھوکر سوون ھُو
جنہاں ترک دنیا تھیں کیتی باھوؒ، واہندی نکل کھلوون ھُو
Explanation: He said that this world is as unclean and impure as a woman during her menstrual periods. She cannot sanctify even if she tries hard to be clean (physically). Several scholars and learned persons tried to renounce the world and its pleasures through hard mystic exercises and forty days seclusion but they could not succeed. Rather they earned even more worldliness through the knowledge, which they gained from their mystic exercises. The more the worldly riches and wealth one keeps in his house, the more he would be restless and dissatisfied. As his concern for the safety of his wealth would not let him sleep. Only those people will return successful in the end who have renounced the world by understanding the purpose of life.
Aim towards the realm of Divinity as it is the true homeland of mankind
Sultan Bahoo said that the people who had understood the real purpose of their life that is to find closeness of Allah and had turned away from the worldly appetites, only they found eternal success.
اَلَسْتُ بِرَبِّکُمْ سنیا دِل میرے‘ جند قَالُوا بَلٰی کوکیندی ھُو
حب وطن دِی غالب ہوئی‘ ہک پل سون نہ دیندی ھُو
قہر پوے تینوں رہزن دُنیا‘ تو تاں حق دا راہ مریندی ھُو
عاشقاں مول قبول نہ کیتی باھوؒ ،توڑے کر کر زاریاں روندی ھُو
Explanation: When I listened to the call of the Divine covenant in the realm of Divinity (Alam-e-LaHoot):
“Am I not your Sustainer?”
Since then my soul has been uttering the reply:
“Yes, you are.”
After coming to the world, I still miss my homeland so much that I do not find any moment of peace and tranquility. O brigand world! The wrath of Allah may befall upon you because you are a hurdle in my way to the Divine Truth, which I will find in my real homeland-the realm of Divinity. Even if this world becomes much beautiful and attractive, the lovers of Divine Essence have no interest. They always remain attentive towards Allah.
Sacrifice in the way of Allah
ادھی لعنت دُنیا تائیں‘ تے ساری دنیاداراں ھُو
جیں راہ صاحب دے خرچ نہ کیتی‘ لین غضب دیاں ماراں ھُو
پیوواں کولوں پتر کوہاوے‘ بھٹھ دُنیا مکاراں ھُو
جنہاں ترک دُنیا کیتی باھوؒ، لیسن باغ بہاراں ھُو
Explanation: The world is partially cursed and the worldly people are cursed entirely who are involved in its love instead of the love of Allah. Those who do not sacrifice all their wealth, life and worldly relations for the sake of Allah and to find His goodwill, they deserve punishment in this world and the hereafter. This world gets the man involved in greed and avarice to such an extent that a father gets ready to kill his son for it. O cunning world! May you burn! The people who renounced this cursed world for the sake of Divine love, would be the successful ones and the great achievers in the hereafter.
Divine Essence is hidden in the inward of man
گجھے سائے رب صاحب والے، کجھ نہیں خبر اصل دی ھُو
گندم دانا اساں بہتا چگیا، ہن گل پئی ڈور ازل دی ھُو
پھاہی دے وچ میں پئی تڑفاں، بلبل باغ مثل دی ھُو
غیر دِلے تھیں سٹیے باھوؒ، تاں رکھئیے امید فضل دی ھُو
Explanation: This universe and all the creatures are nothing what matters is only the Divine Essence which has hidden itself in the multiplicity. All the people are looking at the appearance but they do not know about the Essence. All this is because of the grain of wheat. After eating which, the human race is so restless, dissatisfied and reckless being involved in attributes, forms, human trap and worldliness like the nightingale imprisoned in a cage twitters. Remove the love for other than Allah then the access to the Divine Essence can be attained which is impossible without the mercy and beneficence of Allah Himself.
Worldliness makes man fight for petty things like dogs fight for bones
دُنیا ڈھونڈن والے کتے‘ دَر دَر پھرن حیرانی ھُو
ہڈی اُتے ہوڑ تنہاں دِی‘ لڑدیاں عمر وِہانی ھُو
عقل دے کوتاہ سمجھ نہ جانن‘ پیون لوڑن پانی ھُو
باجھوں ذِکر ربّ دے باھوؒ، کوڑی رام کہانی ھُو
Explanation: The seekers of the world are roaming about in the world like dogs to satiate their worldly appetites of the greed of wealth, superficial beauty, false respect and riches etc.
They spend their whole life like the ox of an oil-expeller which keeps on revolving around the well. As its eyes are covered with a cloth, it thinks that it is travelling forward towards the destination. Similarly the seekers of world keep revolving in the vicious circle of earning more and more money, around the deep and dirty well of this world reaching nowhere at the end, as all their worldly earnings are mortal and worthless.
They fight for petty things, like dogs fight for bones. These ignorant people do not understand that Allah is the provider of their livelihood, so their struggle should be to please Allah, not to gather worldly pleasures. The sustenance that is destined to them will reach them in any case. They should not worry for it; rather they should worry to find Allah’s consent and His closeness. This blessing is not possible without the invocation of Ism-e-Allah Zaat.
The world kills its lovers
دُنیا گھر منافق دے‘ یا گھر کافر دے سونہدی ھُو
نقش نگار کرے بہتیرے‘ زَن خوباں سبھ مونہدی ھُو
بجلی وانگوں کرے لشکارے‘ سر دے اُتوں جھوندی ھُو
حضرت عیسیٰؑ دِی سلھ وانگوں باھوؒ ،راہ ویندیاں نوں کونہدی ھُو
Explanation: The world is like a beautiful but a cunning woman whose victims are only the hypocrites and the infidels. It plunders everybody, seducing them with its fake beauty and false captivating bloom. This world kills its lovers, as in the times of the Christ, three men were killed due to their greed for a gold brick. Three travellers found a gold brick, one of them went to bring food from the market, the rest of the two stayed back to watch the brick. Both of them planned to kill him when he would return and divide the gold afterwards. The third man who had gone to bring food was also intending to kill them by poisoning their food. Both killed him on his return and the others died by eating the poisonous food.
Love for Allah and world cannot be contained in the same inward. One must renounce world
دِین تے دُنیا سکیاں بھیناں، تینوں عقل نہیں سمجھیندا ھُو
دونویں اکس نکاح وِچ آون، شرع نہیں فرمیندا ھُو
جیویں اَگ تے پانی، تھاں اِکّے وِچ واسا نہیں کریندا ھُو
دوہیں جہانیں مٹھا باھوؒ، جیہڑا دعوے کوڑ کریندا ھُو
Explanation: Do not you understand that the true faith and the world are like two blood sisters? The way two sisters cannot wed the same person and like fire and water cannot remain together. Similarly true faith and the world are not for the same soul. Those who claim so, are the liars. They are among the losers in both the worlds.
To annihilate (fana) one must renounce world
جاں جاں ذات نہ تھیوے باھوؒ، تاں کم ذات سدیوے ھُو
ذاتی نال صفاتی ناہیں، تاں تاں حق لبھیوے ھُو
اندر وی ھو باہر وی ھو، باھوؒ کِتھے لبھیوے ھُو
جیندے اندر حب دنیا باھوؒ، اوہ مول فقیر نہ تھیوے ھُو
Explanation: Sultan ul Arifeen Sultan Bahoo stated: Unless you get attentive towards the Divine Essence removing your eyes from the attributes and the appearances and obliterating yourself, you cannot annihilate in Hoo (Allah). Your status would always be low. If your destination is not the attributes but the Essence then you will find the Divine Essence. After having the Divine union my spiritual state is such that I behold Hoo ( ھُو ) in the physical as well the inner world and I had annihilated in the Essence. That soul can never be a Fakir who possesses even a little bit of love for the world.
Reject the world as well as the heaven and aim towards the Truth
بنھ چلایا طرف زمین دے، عرشوں فرش ٹکایا ھُو
گھر تھیں ملیا دیس نکالا، اساں لکھیا جھولی پایا ھُو
رہ نی دُنیاں کر جھیڑا، ساڈا اَگے دِل گھبرایا ھُو
اسیں پردیسی ساڈا وطن دوراڈھا، باھوؒ دَم دَم غم سوایا ھُو
Explanation: The real dwelling of the seeker of Allah is the realm of Divinity, where he rejected both the worlds and the heaven for the sake of Divine vision. It is my destiny which has forced me to live in exile and brought me in the physical world from the eternal realm of Divinity. O world! Leave me, as my soul is already anxious and restless due to separation from the Beloved. I am a foreigner in this world, my homeland is near my real Beloved which is very far and there are several hurdles and the waystations of difficulties in its path, which I have to cover by ousting the love of the world. That is why my soul is more aggrieved than ever before.
Worldliness washes away faith
اَوجھڑ جھل تے مارُو بیلا، جتھے جالن اساڈی آئی ھُو
جس کدھیِ نوں ڈھاہ ہمیشا ں، اوہ اَج ڈَھٹھی کل ڈھائی ھُو
نیں جنہاں دے وہے سراندی، اوہ سکھ نہ سوندے راہی ھُو
ریت تے پانی جتھے ہون اکٹھے باھوؒ ،اُتھے بنی نہ بجھدی کائی ھُو
Explanation: I am living in a thick and dangerous forest. I lay at the bank of a river and fear that I might fall if I sleep. There is sand and water but no firm ground. The way, water takes the sand away, the world washes the faith out. This mortal world will also perish one day.
ایہہ دُنیا زَن حیض پلیتی‘ ہرگز پاک نہ تِھیوے ھُو
جیں فقر گھر دنیا ہووے‘ لعنت اس دے جیوے ھُو
حب دنیا دی رب تھیں موڑے‘ ویلے فکر کچیوے ھُو
سہ طلاق دنیا نوں دئیے باھوؒ، جیکر سچ پچھیوے ھُو
Explanation: The world is like the woman who is passing through her menstrual process and cannot be physically clean and pure after so many baths. Similarly this impure and dirty world cannot purify itself. The one who claims to have Faqr but has collected the riches of the world and fosters love for them is cursed because the worldly things divert him from Faqr and entrap in their own love. The seeker must avoid it. As when a woman is divorced thrice and is separated. She is illegal by sharia, no relation should be established with her. Similarly divorce the world and liberate yourself from it.
The crux of the matter is that as long as the worldliness, the worldly appetites, desires and lust exist in the soul, the love of Allah can never enter it. He who claims to possess the worldliness and the Divine love together in his inner is an absolute liar. The lovers and beloveds of Allah never pay heed to the world whether all the riches of the universe are offered to them. The real and eternal success lies in ejecting the worldly love from the soul and instead fostering the Divine love in it and this is possible only through the contemplation and invocation of Ism-e-Allah Zaat, provided it is received from a perfect and accomplished spiritual guide of Sarwari Qadri order who is the possessor of the Divine name and the Essence.