Divine Trust in Quran
In the Holy Quran, Allah Almighty says about His sacred Trust:
اِنَّا عَرَضۡنَا الۡاَمَانَۃَ عَلَی السَّمٰوٰتِ وَ الۡاَرۡضِ وَ الۡجِبَالِ فَاَبَیۡنَ اَنۡ یَّحۡمِلۡنَہَا وَ اَشۡفَقۡنَ مِنۡہَا وَ حَمَلَہَا الۡاِنۡسَانُ ؕ اِنَّہٗ کَانَ ظَلُوۡمًا جَہُوۡلًا ﴿ۙ۷۲﴾
Meaning: We presented Our Trust before the skies, earth and mountains. Everyone refused to bear it, however man (The Universal Divine Man) picked it up. No doubt, he is cruel (towards his innerself) and ignorant (of his highest rank near Allah). (33:72)
It is Ism-e-Allah Zaat
According to the perfect Fakirs, the Trust actually refers to the true heritage of the Holy Prophet. In essence it is Ism-e-Allah Zaat and the Trust of Faqr.
Bearer of Divine Trust is the Universal Divine Man (al-Insan al-Kamil)
When the seeker of Allah reaches the peak of Faqr he becomes immortal with Allah after he annihilates in Him. As he acquires all the attributes of Allah. Therefore he adorns the grand status of the Universal Divine Man, al-Insan al-Kamil.
The person to whom this Trust transfers is at the grand position of;
اِذَاتَمَّ الۡفَقۡرُ فَھُوَ اللّٰہ
Meaning: When Faqr is accomplished, that is Allah.
The Universal Divine Man according to Quran
Allah says in the Quran:
اَلرَّحۡمٰنُ فَسۡـَٔلۡ بِہٖ خَبِیۡرًا
Meaning: Allah is the Most Compassionate. (O aspirant of His knowledge) ask of Him from someone who has attained His awareness. (25:59)
The Universal Divine Man becomes the ultimate manifestation and reflection of Allah. As he reflects the light of the Divine Essence as well as all His names, attributes and actions. Moreover he possesses all the Divine attributes and virtues.
As Allah says in the Holy Quran:
وَ کُلَّ شَیۡءٍ اَحۡصَیۡنٰہُ فِیۡۤ اِمَامٍ مُّبِیۡنٍ
Meaning: And We have encompassed everything in the enlightened leader (36:12)
In this verse the enlightened leader refers to the Universal Divine Man. Allah has kept all His wills, commands and the created universe in the Guarded Tablet which is, in fact, the inward of the Universal Divine Man. After all inward of the Universal Divine Man is the place where lights of Divine Essence descend. Moreover its vastness is unexplainable and unimaginable.
The best manifestation of Allah is Prophet Mohammad sall’Allahu alayhi wa’alihi wasallam
The most perfect and pre-eminent man of this entire universe is Prophet Mohammad and he is the best manifestation of Allah. Sultan-ul-Arifeen Sultan Bahoo says:
- The Holy Prophet is the Perfect and the Universal Divine Man. While all the others (Companions as well as Saints and Fakir of his umma) have attained to the levels (of perfection and proximity to Allah) through him according to their statuses. (Ain-ul-Faqr)
The Universal Divine Man in words of Husayn ibn Ali
Husayn ibn Ali says in his book Mirat-ul-Arifeen:
- The entire Holy Quran is in its opening chapter. Now the opening chapter is in Bismillah. Ism-e-Allah (name of Allah) is present in the inward of the Universal Divine Man. Hence, the Universal Divine Man is the compact as well as detailed manifestation. For he is the manifestation of all the attributes of Allah and His Essence.
The Universal Divine Man in words of Sultan-ul-Arifeen Sultan Bahoo
The Universal Divine Man is possessor of the Divine Trust. All in all he is the representative of Allah on earth. Sultan Bahoo mentions this grand status in all his works of which few are:
- Jamiat* is the beneficence of the most Compassionate, Allah. Altogether it is solely the destiny of the Universal Divine Man. Only the Prophets and Fakirs are the Universal Divine Men. (Fazal-ul-Laqa)
* Jamiat ( جمعیت ) is mystic term having multiple meanings. Also it may refer to spiritual powers, stability, peace, accumulation or satisfaction. In brief, it is the highest spiritual level whereby all the preceding levels as well as all the Divine attributes and powers accumulate in the being of the seeker.
Risala Roohi Sharif
When Sultan-ul-Arifeen Sultan Bahoo reached this destination of Faqr, he said:
- When I reached the ultimate destination of Faqr, the Divine decree came from the majestic court:
“You are My lover.”
I respectfully submitted:
“My humble self is incapable of the love of the Majesty.”
Then He commanded:
“You are My beloved”.
On this, I kept quite. Soon the sheen of ray of Divinity submerged me into the oceans of Divine engrossment like a mere particle and the Divine commandment came:
“You are exactly Me and I am exactly you. With respect to the station of reality (haqiqa ) you are My Reality and with respect to the station of gnosis (marifa ) you are My beloved and the Divine secret of Ya-Hoo lies in Hoo ( ھُوَ ).”(Risala Roohi Sharif)
In this statement Hoo ( ھُوَ ) means the Divine Essence. Whereas Ya-Hoo means the Mohammadan reality. Next the Divine secret means union with Allah after the spiritual accomplishment. This is the station of immortality with Allah after annihilation in Him where man becomes perfect and adorns the station of the Universal Man.
In Aqal-e-Baydar Sultan Bahoo says about the Universal Divine Man:
- Since the Divine light of Mohammad manifested from the light of Allah. Further from the light of Mohammad, the entire creation came into being. Hence, the origin of man is Divine light. When practically his innerself, inward and soul convert into light, then he becomes the Universal Divine Man.
In his book Nur-ul-Huda, Sultan Bahoo says:
- Existence of Universal Divine Man is a talisman. As a matter of fact he is the treasure and maze of Divine name and Essence.
Here, Sultan-ul-Arifeen Sultan Bahoo has called the existence of Universal Divine Man a talisman. He knows the secret of finding the Divine name ( اللّٰہ ) and Essence. Therefore, this secret is a treasure and just as one reaches a treasure after solving a maze, likewise recognizing the Universal Divine Man is a maze. Whoever solves this maze, only he recognizes the reality of the Universal Divine Man.
The Universal Divine Man in words of Ibn Arabi
Ibn Arabi says about the Universal Divine Man in Fusus al-Hikam:
Extract # 1
- Ism-e-Allah Zaat is comprehensive of all the Divine attributes and is the fountainhead of entire marvels. Hence, it is the origin of theophanies and is the Lord of all the lords. Now the person who is its perfect embodiment is the Exact Divine Essence-the true Man of Allah upon whom everything reveals. In every era, one person is on the footsteps of Prophet Mohammad. He is ‘the absolute man of Allah’ of his era. He is called the leading Saint of all Saints (Qutb-ul-Aqtab) or al-Ghawth (rank of Sufi hierarchy). Also his way is exactly that of Prophet Mohammad. He unintentionally stays in the subjection of command and proximity of obligatory works. Whatever Allah has to do, He does it through him. (Fusus al-Hikam, page 232, Translated by Abdul Qadeer Saddiquee, publisher Nazeer Sons Lahore)
Extract # 2
Ibn Arabi describes the reality of the Universal Divine Man in detail as:
- From pre-existence till eternal end, the Holy Prophet keeps changing his physical dresses in every era and only in the beings of ‘perfect individuals’ does he manifest himself.
Extract # 3
He further elaborates about his reality:
- The Universal Divine Man is unique entity since pre-existence till the eternal end. That is the Holy Prophet Mohammad who has been appearing in the beings of all Prophets, Messengers and their successors from Adam till Christ. After the conclusion of Prophethood he would be manifesting in the beings of al–Ghawth, Qutb, Abdal (Different ranks in Sufi hierarchy) and Saints according to their respective spiritual levels and ranks.
The Universal Divine Man in words of Allama Iqbal
Allama Iqbal says:
لوح بھی تُو، قلم بھی تُو، تیرا وجود الکتاب
گنبد آبگینہ رنگ تیرے میحط میں حباب
Explanation: You are the Divine Tablet, the Divine Pen and the real Quran. The crystal coloured dome (meaning the sky) is just a bubble as compared to your existence.
The Universal Divine Man in words of Shaikh Moeeduddin Jindi
Shaikh Moeeduddin Jindi says:
- The greatest name of Allah (Ism-e-Azam), which has become famous all over, is in fact, meaningly related to the world of reality and soul, while literally it is related to this world of physical existences and apparent words. All the Hadiths which comprehend the truths of Divine marvels are ‘the Reality’ and they actually refer to the Universal Divine Man who is present in every era. Also he is the leading Saint of all Saints. He bears the Divine Trust and is the absolute representative of Allah. Equally important is that Ism-e-Azam is actually the physical countenance of that perfect Saint. (Tafsir Ruh-ul-Bayan, Translated by Mohammad Faiz Ahmad Awaisi, publishers Maktaba Awaisia Rizvia Bahawalpur, Pakistan. Vol: I, Page 41)
Sayyid Abdul Karim bin Ibrahim al-Jili
Sayyid Abdul Karim bin Ibrahim al-Jili writes in his book Al-Insan Al-Kamil:
Extract # 1
- Among the levels of existence, the level and marvel at which Prophet Mohammad was appointed, no one else can ever achieve. The behaviours, conditions and actions of the beloved Prophet are a witness that he is unique in all marvels. He is the Universal Divine Man and the rest of Prophets and perfect Saints adjoins to him the way ‘perfected ones’ are adjoined to ‘the perfect.’ Moreover they relate to him just as the ‘distinguished ones’ are related to ‘the distinguished’. In other words it is unanimously that the ultimate and absolute Universal Divine Man is the Prophet. (page 379)
Extract # 2
Further, he says:
- The Universal Divine Man is one who truly and really deserves to possess the personal name and attributes of Allah as per order of the Divine Essence. For Allah, he is like a mirror. As the way one cannot watch one’s face without a mirror, the Universal Divine Man cannot see his innerself without the mirror of Ism-e-Allah as it is his ‘mirror’. In the same way, Universal Divine Man is like a mirror to Allah. Correspondingly Allah has made it compulsory upon Himself to view all His names and attributes only in the Universal Divine Man. (page-391)
Extract # 3
Abdul Karim al-Jili further describes about the Universal Divine Man:
- The Mohammadan reality manifests itself in every era in the being of the Universal Divine Man of that age. According to the requirements and conditions prevalent in his time. In short, the Universal Divine Man is the representative of Prophet Mohammad in his particular era.
Extract # 4
- The Universal Divine Man is the pivot around whom the whole existing universe revolves from beginning till end. Ever since the advent of existence till eternity of the eternities, he is a unique entity. There are different physical dresses for him. According to the dress, he is has a name that would not go with his other dress. His actual name is Mohammad, his patronymic is Abu al-Qasim, his epithet is Abdullah (absolute man of Allah) and his title is Shamsuddin. Then, he has a name in accordance to each physical dress. In every era, he has a new name which suits to the physical dress in which he appears in that age. (Al-Insan Al-Kamil, Translated by Fazal Meeran, publisher Nafees Academy Karachi, Pakistan, page-388)
Shah Sayyid Mohammad Zauqi and The Universal Divine Man
Shah Sayyid Mohammad Zauqi says:
- The Universal Divine Man is comprehensive of entire creation. Now he is the Ummul Kitab (the opening chapter of Quran which is its summary) with respect to his wisdom and soul. Moreover he is the Divine Tablet in his Correspondingly, he is the book of obliterations and affirmations with respect to his innerself. The Universal Divine Man is the revealed holy book which encompasses everything in the universe. Only those reach its secrets and true meaning who liberate from the veils of inner darkness. (Sirr-e-Dilbaran, Al-Faisal publishers and book traders Lahore)
- Just as treasures are found in deserted places, Allah entrusts His Trust to that person’s inward who is not popular. (Mathnawi by Rumi Vol:III)
The Prophet is the granter of the Divine Trust
In every era, there is a man who bears the Divine Trust and he is the heir of treasure of Faqr. The Holy Prophet is the owner of treasure of Faqr and has complete authority over it. Hence he is the one who transfers this Trust and treasure. Without his permission it cannot be entrusted to anyone.
The People of the Cloak (Ahl-e-Bayt) were the possessors of the Divine Trust
He transferred the treasure of Faqr to his daughter Fatimah-tuz-Zahra. She holds the highest and supreme level of being the first Sultan-ul-Faqr among the Mohammadan umma. Also this treasure was transferred to Ali ibn Abi Talib. From whom the spiritual orders and mystic chains originated through which the treasure of Faqr was conveyed to the umma. Among the People of Cloak, this treasure was transferred from Ali to his sons Hasan and Husayn.
Then the chain continued and the treasure reached Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani. Then it reached Sultan Bahoo. Now whenever someone is chosen for entrusting the Divine Trust, the Holy Prophet hands over that person to al-Ghawth al-Azam Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani for his spiritual training to hold the Trust. Then he is sent to Sultan Bahoo for the final transference of the treasure of Faqr, the Divine Trust. Though, the actual and main source of transference of the treasure of Faqr till doomsday is only Prophet Mohammad. Without his approval and permission, Faqr cannot be granted to anyone.
It is mandatory to search for the Universal Divine Man
The Universal Divine Man is also the man of Divine Essence. Also he is the perfect spiritual guide possessing the absolute light of guidance. Now he bears the Divine Trust. He is the heir of treasure of Faqr and also the representative of Holy Prophet. Important to realize is that the Mystics have declared it mandatory to search him in this world. Then follow him on the right path. Hence, the seekers of Allah must search him.
The Universal Divine Man who possesses the Divine Trust is also the man of Divine Essence. Hence he is the perfect spiritual guide possessing the absolute light of guidance. Now, if a seeker is fortunate enough to find such a spiritual guide, then his access to the extreme level of Faqr is not at all difficult. Moreover the symbol of his marvels and perfection is that he blesses the seeker with the Sultan of invocations. It is the greatest name of Allah, Hoo ( ھُوَ ). Straightaway he gives Ism-e-Allah Zaat for contemplation on taking oath of allegiance. If a seeker finds such a spiritual guide, he should immediately join him.
However, it is difficult to find him as he is usually not a popular and known person. The chain of perfect spiritual guides will continue till the doomsday. Only those seekers will find and recognize them who truly and sincerely seek the recognition and vision of Allah and presence of the Mohammadan Assembly.