Having complete trust upon Allah is called ‘Tawakkal’. It is the first and foremost demand of true faith and Divine Love of Allah that everything and every matter is handed over to Allah, even one’s own self. Tawakkal is considered the foundation of ‘Faqr’, and it is the first lesson taught by the Murshid (Spiritual Guide). It is also the most prominent sign of a true seeker of Allah that he trusts upon Allah for all his matters. In the Holy Quran, Allah has drawn attention of the believers repeatedly towards this. He says:
- “Have Tawakkal (trust) in Him if you are a Muslim.” (Surah Younas-84)
- When the entire ummah of Hazrat Noah Alayh Salam left him and became his enemy, then, he (Alayh Salam) said:
“I have my Tawakkal in Allah alone. You carry on making your plans (against me).” (Surah Younas-71)
- When Hazrat Ya’qoob Alayh Salam was about to send Benjamin to Egypt, he took vow from his brothers and said:
“Decree rests with Allah alone. In Him I have put my Tawakkal and all those who trust, must have trust in Him alone.” (Surah Yousuf-67)
- In Surah Namal, it has been said, “Have Tawakkal in Allah only.”
- In Surah Talaq, it has been said, “He who has Tawakkal in Allah, Allah alone is sufficient for him.”
- In Surah-al-Imran, it has been said, “If Allah helps you, no one can overpower you, and if He abandons you, then who can help you? And the Momin (true believers) should have Tawakkal in Allah only.”
Rizq (sustentation) is not limited to a particular place, person or source and can reach anyone, anywhere, through any source.
Those who migrate from one place to another and persevere, Allah makes arrangements for providing them their food by virtue of their Tawakkal, just the way, He provides for birds and animals everywhere. For getting Rizq (sustentation), man should have Tawakkal in Allah. Allah says about having trust in Him, with regard to sustentation:
- Meaning: And He provides him sustentation from a source which he can never think of, and whoever keeps Tawakkal in Allah, then He is sufficient for him. Surely, Allah does what He wills. Allah has certainly made a measure for everything. (Surah Talaq-3)
The person who resigns to the will of Allah, Allah provides him his Rizq (sustentation) from such a source, about which, he has not even thought of. That is why, for those who keep Tawakkal in Allah in the matters of Rizq, Allah is enough.
- A tradition from Hazrat Abu Darda Razi Allah Anhu relates that Rasool Allah Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam said: “Rizq searches for man just like death searches for him.”
- Another tradition from Hazrat Umar Razi Allah Anhu follows that he heard Rasool Allah Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam saying: “If you have Tawakkal in Allah, the way you should truly have it, then you would get your food like birds do, as they set out empty-stomach and return satiated in the evening.” (Ibn-e-Maja)
- According to a tradition from Hazrat Abu Hurairah Razi Allah Anhu, Nabi Akram Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam said, “Allah says: If my men trust truly in Me, then I would shower rain upon them during the night and would make the sun to rise during the day and would not let them hear even the sound of thunder.” (Musnad Imam Ahmed)
- Hazrat Abdullah bin Abbas Razi Allah Anhu is reported to have said, “One day, I was behind Rasool Allah Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam when he Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam said, “O’ boy! Protect the rights of Allah, so He would protect yours, and then, you would find Him in front of you. And whatever you need, ask it from Allah and when you want help, ask only Him. Know that, if the whole world gathers to benefit you in an aspect, it cannot, but only, if Allah has written it in your destiny. And if everyone unites to harm you, they would not be able to do so, except if Allah has already decided it. The pens have written what they had to, and the books (of destiny) have now been closed.” (Ahmed-Tirmizi)
- Hazrat Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani Razi Allah Anhu says:
“You should not worry about your Rizq (sustentation) because it searches for you more than you search for it. When you have received today’s Rizq, then do not worry about tomorrow’s. The way you have left worrying about yesterday, as it has passed, similarly, you cannot judge, if tomorrow would come or not, so, focus on today.” (Al-Fatah Rabbani Majlis-17)
- Do not trust upon your wealth because it would make you deficient and weak. Have trust in Allah, for He will make you powerful and will always help you. He will shower upon you His favour and grace, and bring victories for you from a source which you cannot even imagine. He will then bless you with such esoteric power that you would neither care about the world nor about the people of the world. Then, you will become the most powerful. But if you will trust upon your wealth, family and property instead of Allah, then, you shall invite Allah’s wrath and will have to face the decline of these possessions. (Al-Fatah Rabbani Majlis-42)
- Lord of both the Worlds Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam says: “Cursed is he who has Tawakkal in created things like himself”. There are many people in this world who are a part of this curse and a very few who have Tawakkal in Allah. Whoever keeps trust in Allah, holds the strongest rope, while he, who has trust in created things like himself can be exemplified as clenching your fist and finding nothing when you open it. (Al-Fatah Rabbani Majlis-45)
- Tawakkal is the name of quitting all the sources and leaving all the causes.(Al-Fatah Rabbani)
- Hazrat Sir’ri Saqti Rehmat-ul-Allah Alayh says that Tawakkal is to renounce all your powers and authorities.
- Hazrat Ibn-e-Masrooq Rehmat-ul-Allah Alayh says, “Tawakkal is the name of surrendering yourself to the orders and will of Allah”.
- Hazrat Ba-Yazeed Bastami Rehmat-ul-Allah Alayh says, “If the earth and sky turn into iron, if sky stops pouring rain and the earth stops producing crops, even then I would not give up my Tawakkal”.
- Sultan-ul-Faqr sixth Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Mohammad Asghar Ali Rehmat-ul-Allah Alayh says:
Tawakkal is the foundation of Faqr. It is the first and foremost requirement of Ishq (Divine Love) with Allah that you hand over everything to Him. Outwardly, the seeker tries but inwardly he completely renounces his will and keeps Tawakkal in Allah.
- Satan has absolutely no control over those who have trust in Allah. They trust upon Allah in all their matters, which brings Divine help for them.
- The man, who trusts upon Allah, does not worry about his daily bread or income. Most people get their Rizq (sustentation) as a result of their effort and hard work but the Rizq (sustentation) of the special and chosen ones is provided by Allah Himself. (Shams-ul-Fuqara)
- Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Bahoo Rehmat-ul-Allah Alayh has also considered Tawakkal as the core foundation of ‘Faqr’. The seeker who does not have Tawakkal, cannot travel the path of Faqr. He Rehmat-ul-Allah Alayh says:
- Adopt the way of Tawakkal and submit to the will of Allah. (Ain-ul-Faqr)
- Tawakkal means renouncing all the treasures of the world, inspite of having complete authority over them, just to benefit the Muslims. (Aqal-e-Baidar)
- The Noor (Divine Light) of Tawakkal is a water which, when drunk by Fuqara, gives them complete (spiritual and physical) health and tranquillity”.(Kaleed-ul-Tauheed Kalan)
- There is not a single soul on the entire earth whose Rizq (sustentation) is not provided by Allah Almighty. (Asrar-e-Qadri)
- The Rizq of common people brings them more hard work and labour while the Rizq of Khuas (the special ones) brings them the mystic knowledge of Allah, The Absolute and Supreme…..The Faithful Man does not worry about his daily bread or income, nor does he await the harvest of rabeeh and khareef crops because he knows that after everyone’s Rizq (sustentation) was written down at the eternal beginning, the book of destiny was closed. The Rizq of a person having dead soul is just a greed that never ends, that is why, a greedy person is never satisfied in any condition whatsoever, and he always is on the wrong path. On the contrary, the Arif always stays engrossed in Haq (The Divine Reality), well focused on the Visal-e-Mutlaq (Union with The Absolute, Allah), and his Rizq restlessly pursues him. How would the ignorant and indecent people who are without Tawakkal, Marifat, virtuous deeds and true faith, understand this reality? Hence, just like the Rizq of a worm of cow-dung, is cow-dung itself, so it stays happy in it, similarly, the Rizq of a perfumer is perfume and he stays satisfied with it. He, who stays absorbed in the desire to seek Allah, Rizq (sustentation) stays in his pursuit. (Kaleed-ul-Tauheed Kalan)
- Although Rizq comes through different sources, yet, these too were created on the day of creation by Allah, the Causer of causes. (Kaleed-ul-Tauheed Kalan)
- The whole world is running after causes and sources with all their main and might, only a few people are attentive towards the Causer of causes (Allah).(Kaleed-ul-Tauheed Kalan)
- If Rizq did not seek man, why would a grain of wheat tear the surface of earth and sprout. (Kaleed-ul-Tauheed Kalan)
- There are four types of destinies. The destiny of Fuqara is that whatever they eat or drink, creates Marifat-e-Elahi (gnosis of Allah) in their existence. Their Rizq comes from the way of Tawakkal. From whichever source their Rizq comes, they consider it from Allah and this is Tawakkal in its true sense. Some believe that sustentation comes from trade and professions, some get education to earn income and get Rizq, whereas some get their Rizq by snatching it from the poor i.e. through cruelty. In short, Faqr is the treasure which brings the ranks of honour, respect and felicity. Allah Almighty bestows the highest ranks of Faqr to those great people who are one with Allah, whereas the strangers (who neither have Vision of Allah nor a peck of His marifat) can never come close to Faqr at all. (Mehek-ul-Faqr Kalan)
- Listen! O’ dearest! I tell you that there is no one superior to Allah. The common creatures search for Rizq (sustentation), whereas, Fuqara search for the Raziq (the Sustainer: Allah). Creatures focus on wealth and riches, whereas, the Fuqara have their gaze fixed upon the Greatest and Omnipotent Allah. Hazoor Alayh Salat-o-Wasalam has said: “The man, who dies out of Love for Allah, is a martyr”. The seeker of Allah is a martyr and the seeker of the world is unfortunate, as he is deprived of the desire of Allah. In both the worlds, there is nothing more beautiful and superior than the desire for Allah. (Mehek-ul-Faqr Kalan)
- Sultan-ul-Arifeen Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Bahoo Rehmat-ul-Allah Alayh says in his Punjabi couplets:
One should walk upright on the path of Faqr with perfect belief and trust upon Allah. One should not be afraid to face the grief which ultimately brings happiness. One should remember the Divine promise given in the Holy Quran that with every difficulty, there is surely, a relief. Allah is indifferent and free of all needs. One should beg Him for His “Visal (Union)”.
In this couplet, Hazrat Sultan-ul-Arifeen Rehmat-ul-Allah Alayh addresses the seeker of Allah that he should not worry for worldly needs at all because whatever Rizq Allah has written in his fate, he would definitely get it. Birds never carry any crumb of bread with them due to their Tawakkal in Allah. They return home satiated without collecting any food for the next day. Allah is the Sustainer who provides food even to the tiny worm that lives inside a rock.
The seeker of Allah should have Tawakkal in Allah at every moment, in every action and matter. It is better for him to hand over all his matters to Allah and does not interfere in the will of Allah, as is said in the Quran: “I hand over my matters to Allah, certainly, He watches over His people”. (Surah Al-Momin 44)