Please click the Button to continue reading…
Grandeur of Sultan-ul-Faqr
In every era, there exists an Insan-e-Kamil (The Universal Divine Man) in the world who is the Khalifah (representative) of Allah as well as the possessor of the Trust of Allah (Amanat-e-Elahiya). Since the sacred demise of the Holy Prophet Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam till the Doomsday, seven personalities among them are such, who are stationed at the supreme status of Sultan-ul-Faqr and due to this they are distinguished among all the Auliya (saints) and their step is upon the heads of all the Auliya of Allah, Ghaus and Qutb (i.e. they are ranked at the highest degree of excellence in Oneness with Allah). This secret was first of all disclosed by Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Bahoo Rehmat-ul-Allah Alayh. He expounds in his famous writing Risala Roohi Sharif about these souls:
Meaning: Get to know, when the Noor-e-Ahdi (The Unique Divine Light), getting out of its Isolation of Oneness intended to manifest Itself in multiplicity in the world and graced the worlds with its Jamal (Beauty) and Tajalli (Divine Self Disclosure), both the realms started burning like a moth, on the candle of Its unprecedented and unique Beauty. So, this Noor manifested itself in the form of Ahmad Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam (The Holy Prophet) by concealing itself with the veil of “Meem”. Then, it shook itself seven times out of boundless passions of devotions, with which seven purified souls of Fuqara (saints), annihilated in Allah, perpetual with Allah, absorbed in the contemplation of the Essence (Allah), all core without flesh, drowned in the ocean of the Divine Beauty, appeared on the tree of the transparent Belief, seventy thousand years before Adam’s birth. Neither they saw anything except the Zaat-e-Haq (Essence of Truth, Allah) since Azal (pre-existence) till Abad (eternity), nor they heard anything other than Allah. They ever remained such an ocean of union in Hareem-e-Kibriya (the Divine sanctuary) which has no decline. At times, they endeavoured for sanctity and Tanzih (incomparability) with their body of Noor (Light). Sometimes, they are a drop in the ocean and sometimes the ocean in a drop. They are graced with the blessed cover of (when Faqr is perfected, that is Allah). Hence, they have got an eternal life and they are honored and exalted with the Crown of (Faqr demands nothing from Allah or from anyone other than Allah). Neither they are aware of the birth of Hazrat Adam Alayhi Salam nor about the occurrence of the Doomsday. They have their steps on the heads of all the Auliya Allah, Ghaus and Qutb i.e. they have surpassed all the spiritual levels. It is lawful to call them Allah, and if they are called men of Allah, it is justified as well. Whoever, came to know this secret, he recognized them. Their station is the Hareem-e-Zaat-e-Kibriya (The sanctuary of The Magnificent). They never demanded anything from Allah except Allah Himself. Even they never pay any heed towards the petty world and the blessings of the hereafter, the nymphs, houries (the heavenly fairies) and the Heaven. The single Tajalli (Divine Self Disclosure) with which Hazrat Musa Alayhi Salam was perplexed and Koh-e-Toor (the Mount Sinai) burnt into ashes, the same Divine Disclosure of passions of The Essence fell upon them seventy thousand times every moment, yet they do not object and lament, rather they demand more, saying (is there any more!). They are Sultan-ul-Faqr and Syed-ul-Kaunain (Lords of all the worlds)”.
These are seven sacred souls, while revealing their names Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Bahoo Rehmat-ul-Allah Alayh expresses:
Meaning: One of them is the sacred soul of the Queen of the Doomsday Hazrat Fatima Alayha Salam. Second one among them is the sacred soul of Hazrat Khawaja Hassan Basri Razi Allah Anhu….the third sacred soul is our Shaikh, the reality of Haq (Allah), Noor-e-Mutlaq (The absolute Light of the Absolute) Mash’hud-ul-Haq (the Manifestation of Allah) Hazrat Syed Mohiyuddin Abdul Qadir Jilani, Mehboob-e-Subhani (the beloved of Allah) Quds Sir’ruh-al-Aziz. And fourth one of them is the sacred soul of Sultan-e-Anwaar Sir’r-us-Sarmad (the Sultan of the Divine Lights and the secret of the Everlasting Divine Self) Hazrat Pir Abdul Razzaq, son of Hazrat Pir Dastgir Quds Sir’ruh-al-Aziz. Fifth sacred soul is of the fountain head of the sight of Hahuwiyat (The Absolute), Sir’r-e-Asrar-e-Zaat-e-YaHoo (the secret of the Secrets of the Essence of Allah), annihilated in Hoo (Allah) Faqeer-e-Bahoo Quds Sir’ruh-al-Aziz. Two among them are the souls of other Auliya. Both the realms owe their stability to the dignity of these two sacred souls. Unless, these two souls would not reveal into the world of diversity, coming out of the abode of oneness (unity), the Doomsday will not take place. Their sight is absolutely the Noor-e-Wahdat (The Light of the Oneness) and the Kemiya-e-Izzat (Alchemy of the Magnificence). On whom so ever it is cast, he starts witnessing the Essence of Allah in such a way, as if, his whole being is transformed into absolute Noor (Light). They do not need to engage their disciples into the struggle of apparent daily recitals and the lengthy supplications for mystic communion (Risala Roohi Sharif).
The Reality of Sultan ul Faqr
Sultan-ul-Faqr is a form of the Noor-e-Haq (Divine Light) which is ‘annihilated’ in Allah and has gained an eternal nearness and union with Allah and the eternal presence of the Majlis-e-Mohammadi Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam.
Sultan-ul-Faqr, Sultan-ul-Arifeen, Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Bahoo Rehmat-ul-Allah Alayh states about the reality of Sultan-ul-Faqr:
- The Holy Lord of the universe Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam met intimately with Sultan-ul-Faqr in the court of Allah at the night of Meraj (Ascension) and embraced Faqr. Then the existence of the Holy Prophet Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam transformed into Faqr. (Jamia-ul-Asrar)
- When the Holy Prophet Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam went for Meraj, firstly he mounted Burraq (a heavenly Pegasus, Lightning horse) and then Hazrat Jibrael showed him eighteen thousand kinds of creatures of both the worlds, adorned and decorated in every aspect, but the Holy Prophet Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam didn’t pay any heed to them. As says Allah , meaning: “His eye neither deviated (from the vision of Allah) nor violated the (fixed) limit” (Al-Najam).The same situation was maintained throughout all the higher and lower stations, that is why, he reached Qab Qausain (the extreme nearness to Allah) and there was only a thin veil, like that of membrane of an onion, left between the two. When the beloved Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam came absolutely the nearest, then there was a Divine call “Oh my beloved! I sacrificed both the worlds upon you and let you have the view of the eighteen thousand realms of both the worlds, so, which thing in these worlds you like the most, that would be granted to you.” The Holy Prophet Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam replied “O’ Allah, confer Faqr upon me because nothing has got such nearness and annihilation in You as Faqr has, and such a closeness cannot be attained through anything else”. The same ‘Faqr’ is “Sultan-ul-Faqr”. The person who beholds such Faqr in inward and outward becomes an authoritative man and the Mohammadan status dominates him. (Jamia-ul-Asrar)
- Allah said, “O’ Mohammad (Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam) I conferred upon you and your sacred family, the status of ‘Sultan-ul-Faqr’ as well as upon your Fuqara and your pure and pious followers”. The Holy Prophet Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam thanked Allah thousand times. (Jamia-ul-Asrar)
Grandeur of Sultan ul Faqr
Sultan-ul-Arifeen Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Bahoo Rehmat-ul-Allah Alayh states about the grandeur and glory of Sultan-ul-Faqr, in his Persian writings:
- The Noor (Divine Light) of Sultan-ul-Faqr is more lustrous than the sun and its fragrance is more pleasant than the smell of musk, rose, amber and scent. The man, who sees Sultan-ul-Faqr in his dream, becomes heedless to everything and Hazoor Alayh Salat-o-Wasalam himself takes oath of allegiance from that lucky one and instructs him spiritually. This saying of mine is exactly according to my own experience. (Kaleed-ul-Tauheed)
- There is only one among thousands of the seekers who attains to the complete knowledge of Sultan-ul-Faqr and gains the union of the exact Divine Beauty. Thus, it is clear that several persons have just put on the superficial robe of Faqr only. One among the thousands reaches to the highest level of Faqr. Faqr is a Noor (Light) which bears the name of “Sultan-ul-Faqr.” One who gains it, remains in the eternal presence of Allah, and is among the favourites of Allah. (Ameer-ul-Kaunain)
- Only he gets the company of Hazrat Khizer Alayh Salam who meets the spiritual Khizer. And “Sultan-ul-Faqr” is the real batini (esoteric) Khizer. One who meets this batini Khizer, he forgets the worldly knowledge because his batin (inner self) is repleted with the Tajalliyat (Divine Disclosures) of the esoteric knowledge, Noor-e-Marifat (the Light of gnosis) and Tauheed-e-Elahi (the Oneness of Allah) to such an extent that he ever remains engrossed in the Hazoori (Presence) of Divine nearness and union. (Mehek-ul-Faqr Kalan)
- Only that person is familiar to the levels of Faqr who has approached Faqr and has enjoyed the pleasure of its nearness, and who has adopted Faqr and seen Sultan-ul-Faqr with his own eyes. (Asrar-e-Qadri)
- It is the job of the “Sultan-ul-Faqr” to imprison the giant and devilish king nafs (lower self) forever in the confinement of annihilation in Allah, by fastening the chain of tafseer (exegesis), Quran, Hadith, gnosis of Allah and the enlightenment of the conscience, around its neck. (Kaleed-ul-Tauheed Kalan)
- The person, who wants to achieve an access to the ocean of Tauheed-e-Elahi (Divine Oneness) and Hazoori (the eternal presence) in the Majlis-e-Mohammadi Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam (the Assembly of the Holy Prophet) and to have meetings with Sultan-ul-Faqr, he should know that there are almost thirty crore thirty lac hair on the body of a man and every hair bears a dwelling of the devil, a castle of lust, and a root of the sensual baser self. The person, who does not renounce love of the world from his heart, he can neither find Divine nearness nor eternal presence. (Kaleed-ul-Tauheed Kalan)
Similarly, on two other places he Rehmat-ul-Allah Alayh tells about a true seeker that:
- The seeker, when truely follows the path of Faqr and witnesses all the stations of Turk (renunciation) and Tawakkul (trust), Tasleem (acceptance) and Raza (submission to Allah’s will), Tajrid (detachment from outer world) and Tafrid (inward isolation), Fana (annihilation) and Baqa (perpetuation) and Tauheed (the Oneness), then he gains the presence in the Majlis (Assembly of the Prophet) and meeting with Sultan-ul-Faqr, Auliya and the Prophets in his dream. (Kaleed-ul-Tauheed Kalan)
- Fana Fillah (annihilation in Allah) is an extreme station of Faqr, which can neither be achieved by intellect and cleverness nor by Zikr (invocation) and Fikr (meditation). Although, the Murshid Kamil (the Perfect Guide) if wishes, either takes the seeker to the court of the Holy Prophet Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam or some times to the station of the Divine presence of annihilation in Allah, and some times, in the company of Fana Fillah “Sultan-ul-Faqr”. The seeker, for whom, all of these three levels become one, he approaches at the completion of Faqr. (Aqal-e-Baidar)
- When the seeker, exceeding from the levels of Raza (complete submission to Allah) and Qaza (accepting the destiny,) reaches the level of Wahdat (Unity) and Laqa (meeting Allah), a form of Noor (Divine Light) is revealed by The Divine Presence and nearness, which is more beautiful than the houries of the paradise, enlightened by the Divine Lights and enflamed by the observation of the Tajalli (Self Disclosure) of The Divine Vision, Knowledge and Love, his name is “Sultan-ul-Faqr”. This form embraces the sensible lover with which the seeker of Allah becomes immortal and La-Yauhtaj (indifferent to all the desires) from top to toe and there remains no grief and sorrow of the world and the hereafter in his being. (Noor-ul-Huda Kalan)
- Man cannot reach the levels of Faqr unless the special form of the Divine Secret “Sultan-ul-Faqr” does not embrace him, and grace him, within his inner self, with its Ziyarat (sacred view), mystical knowledge and persuasion, whether he has been exhausted in doing hard mystic exercises. As long as, “Sultan-ul-Faqr” does not allow, he cannot even smell Faqr, as the esoteric form of Sultan-ul-Faqr ever remains present in the Majlis (Assembly) of the Holy Prophet Mohammad Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam. (Mehek-ul-Faqr Kalan)
- The Assembly of Sultan-ul-Faqr is an ocean of The Divine Unity. Whoever, arrives at the bank of this ocean, becomes unified with Allah.
- At the night of Ascension, when the Holy Prophet Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam arrived at the station of Sidra-tul-Muntaha (the lote tree of the utmost Boundary), he witnessed the Face of Faqr and enjoyed the relish of the ranks of “Sultan-ul-Faqr”. He repleted his batin (inward) with Faqr of Noor-e-Elahi (Divine Light) and conversed with Allah being blessed with His Qurb-o-Visal (nearness and Union) at the station of Qab Qausain (station of extreme nearness). (Mehek-ul-Faqr Kalan)
- Faqeer-e-Mohammadi Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam (the mystic of the Holy Prophet) steps in the Faqr annihilated in Allah with perseverance and strength. As, he bears the name of Faqr on his head and Faqr bears the Name of Allah on its head or to say, Fuqara (mystics) become Faqeers by Ism-e-Allah (the Personal Name of Allah) and become Shehbaz (Falcon) by Ism-e-Allah as well. In the path of Faqr, if somebody remains persistent, he becomes the bearer of the Divine Secret of The Reality. If somebody gives up perseverance and courage and returns to the world and its people, being fed up of Faqr and the Personal Name of Allah, he deviates from the level of holding Faqr and the Divine Secret, and the rank of Shahbazi (Falcon), as if he is a bird of prey whose eyes remain at the carrion (dead flesh). Therefore, he is disgraced and dishonored in both the worlds. His heart is never satisfied and contended with the world, so his eyes ever remain full of craving and thirst for the world. He can never reach to the Reality of “Sultan-ul-Faqr”. He is a seeker of the world, rather, a religious hypocrite. (Mehek-ul-Faqr Kalan)
- It is worth knowing that the beginning of Sultan-ul-Faqr is from the non-creation Noor-e-Eman (the Light of Faith) and its end is non-creation Noor-e-Rehman (Light of Allah). (Qurb-e-Deedar)
- The person who views the face of Sultan-ul-Faqr spiritually in his batin (inner self), he becomes the ‘Man of the word’ by being La-Yauhtaj (Indifferent to all needs). (Mehek-ul-Faqr Kalan)
- It must be known that everyone among the Prophets, companions of the Prophet and Auliya of Allah (saints) requested Allah for the ranks of the complete Marifat (knowledge) of Faqr but none other than the Prophet Ahmad Mujataba Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam reached the perfection of Faqr. Nobody else stepped at the extreme level of Sultan-ul-Faqr, although by the order of Allah and the permission of the Lord of the world Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam, Shah Mohiyuddin Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani Razi Allah Anhu executed, accomplished and possessed all the initial and extreme levels of Faqr, and Sultan-ul-Faqr. (Taufeeq-ul-Hidayat)
Clarification of a Misapprehension
People usually raise an objection that in Risala Roohi Sharif, among all the Auliya (saints) of the world, only seven sacred souls are honored with the glorious levels of “Sultan-ul-Faqr” and Syed-ul-Kaunain. Why the sacred companions of the Holy Prophet Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam, sacred Imams (Hazrat Imam Hassan and Hussain) Razi Allah Anhum and other close friends of Allah have not been included among them.
We try to answer this objection through an example that, there are several fields of skills and specializations, and there is no comparison between one field and the other. For example, somebody excels in Economics and Accounting but the other has the knack in Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Botany. Some have perfection in cricket and hockey and the others are experts in journalism, calligraphy etc. It means, in every field, there are specialists and the men of perfection and every man possesses a special skill. So among the different skills, the experts have no comparison and competition with each other. For instance, it cannot be decided that who is better between a doctor and a player.
Similarly, in the spiritual world there are many different fields and kinds of ranks, perfections and marvels. It is to say, some mystics are famous for truth, some for gratitude, some for their justice and self accountability, others are famous for their modesty and self honour, some for their worship and adoration, some for renunciation, some for mystic ascetic discipline and mystic practices, some for their patience and the others for their bounty and generosity. Hence, among the Prophets Hazrat Essa (the Christ) Alayh Salam was Zahid-ul-Basher (best worshipper), Hazrat Dawood (David) Alayh Salam was Abdul Basher (best slave of Allah) and Hazrat Ayub Alayh Salam was the Asbar-ul-Basher (the best person for showing patience). It means, every Prophet was a person of perfection regarding some special inner quality and rank.
Similarly, “Faqr” is a special spiritual rank and a marvel. In comparison to it, there is neither any marvel nor any rank. This Divine treasure was granted exclusively to our Lord Hazrat Mohammad Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam by Allah, among all the other Prophets. With regards to Faqr, neither any Prophet nor any Messenger of Allah is a peer or equal in status to the Holy Prophet Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam, that is why, he was proud only of it. Due to it, he is exalted, distinguished and eminent among all the Prophets and Messengers. It is worth considering that he Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam is comprehensive in all the outward and inward marvels, yet, he was neither proud of his bravery, chivalry, generosity, piety, patience, renunciation, trust in Allah, nor of his eloquence and rhetoric, but he expressed his pride only for “Faqr”. It means that Faqr only is his real asset and legacy. Though, in the inner self, there are countless attributes like truth, loyalty, justice, accountability of lower self, modesty, piety, patience, gratitude, submission, fear of Allah, optimism, generosity, kindness, knowledge, bravery, affection etc and all of these have numerous different ranks and grades but “Faqr” is the most superior and the elevated one. Rather, it should be said that Faqr encompasses all of them, or to say, is the root cause of all these virtuous attributes.
- Now, let us discuss the objections raised by some ignorant people who have no spiritual insight. They object that:
- Among these sacred personalities, Baab-e-Faqr (the door to Faqr) and Imam-ul-Faqr (the leader of Faqr) Hazrat Ali Karam Allah Wajhul Kareem is not included who is the Imam of the Qadri, Chishti and Suherwardi chains and these chains connect to the Holy Prophet Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam through him. Has Amanat-e-Elahiya (the Trust of Allah in the form of Faqr) not been transferred to him?
- Has ‘Faqr’ not been transferred to the leader of the truthful people Hazrat Abu Bakar Siddique Razi Allah Anhu, who is the friend of the cave of Hazrat Mohammad Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam and through whom, the Naqshbandi chain reaches the Holy Prophet Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam.
- Has it not been transferred to the other two pious caliphs Hazrat Umer Razi Allah Anhu and Hazrat Usman Razi Allah Anhu.
- Has the legacy of Faqr of the Holy Prophet Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam not been bestowed upon the leaders of the lovers of Allah, Hazrat Imam Hussain Alayh Salam and Hazrat Imam Hassan Alayh Salam?
- Has Faqr not been granted to the other sacred companions of the Holy Prophet Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam, who are the most exalted persons of the Ummah?
- Have all the interpreters of Islamic law and the other sacred saints among the Ummah not been given Faqr?
Faqr and the Four Righteous Caliphs
The answer to these objections has already been given by Sultan-ul-Arifeen Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Bahoo Rehmat-ul-Allah Alayh in his writings. He states that there are ‘four Pirs’ (four spiritual leaders).
Meaning: From the Holy Prophet Mustafa Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam Hazrat Abu Bakar Siddique Razi Allah Anhu,Hazrat Umer Razi Allah Anhu, Hazrat Usman Razi Allah Anhu and Hazrat Ali Karam Allah Wajhu found Sidq (truthfulness), justice, modesty and Faqr respectively. (Ain-ul-Faqr, Mehek-ul-Faqr Kalan)
- He further says:
A seeker must recognize his four spiritual Leaders. Firstly, the leader of the siddiqeen (truthful ones) is Hazrat Abu Bakar Siddique Razi Allah Anhu, secondly, the leader of the just people is Hazrat Umer bin Khitab Razi Allah Anhu, thirdly, the leader of possessors of modesty is Hazrat Usman Ghani Razi Allah Anhu and fourthly, the leader of Fuqara is Hazrat Ali Karam Allah Wajhu. (Jamia-ul-Asrar)
Sultan-ul-Arifeen Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Bahoo states in the above written extracst that the asset and legacy of the Holy Prophet Mustafa Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam ‘Faqr’ was transferred to Hazrat Ali Karam Allah Wajhu. He is Baab-e-Faqr (the door to Faqr) and the one who transfers Faqr ahead. Hazrat Abu Bakar Siddique Razi Allah Anhu, Hazrat Umer Farooq Razi Allah Anhu and Hazrat Usman Razi Allah Anhu received the highest levels of sidq (truthfulness), justice and modesty, respectively.
Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Bahoo Rehmat-ul-Allah Alayh says that the seeker of Allah should be like Hazrat Abu Bakar Razi Allah Anhu in truthfulness. In justice and accountability of lower self he should follow Hazrat Umer Farooq Razi Allah Anhu. In modesty he should follow the footsteps of Hazrat Usman Razi Allah Anhu and as regards Faqr, he should be like Hazrat Ali Karam Allah Wajhu. If these four levels are not acquired with balance, the rank of Faqr is not gained with perfection. Sultan-ul-Arifeen called them four Pirs (four spiritual leaders) because, Faqr is completed in the inward by the attention of the four. But ‘Baab-e-Faqr’ i.e. Door to Faqr, is only Hazrat Ali Karam Allah Wajhu. This would be endorsed with the event of the oath of allegiance of Sultan-ul-Arifeen, which he narrates in many of his books, as what is meant by the “attention” of these four leaders. He Rehmat-ul-Allah Alayh states that:
- Once, he was standing in the suburbs of Shorekot (city of Bahoo), suddenly, an exalted and dignified horse rider with heavenly Light appeared, who carried his hand and got him mounted behind his back. Sultan Bahoo Rehmat-ul-Allah Alayh was afraid and shivering, he asked, “who are you”? The eminent rider, at first blessed Bahoo with his ‘Divine attention’ and afterwards revealed, “I am Ali Ibn-e-Abi Talib”. Then Sultan Bahoo asked, where are you taking me? Hazrat Ali replied “I am taking you to the sacred Assembly of the Holy Prophet Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam, according to his order.” Then at once, Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Bahoo Rehmat-ul-Allah Alayh found himself in the Majlis-e-Mohammadi Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam (Assembly of the Holy Prophet). At that time, Hazrat Siddique Akbar, Hazrat Umer Bin Khitab and Hazrat Usman Bin Affan Razi Allah Anhum were also present in the company of the sacred family of the Holy Prophet Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam. On seeing Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Bahoo, first of all Hazrat Siddique Akbar stood up from the Majlis-e-Munawwar (Celestial Assembly) and met him, then left after paying his “attention”. Afterwards, Hazrat Umer & Hazrat Usman stood up one by one and paid ‘attention’ after meeting him, and left the Majlis. Only the Ahl-e-Bait (sacred family of the Prophet) were left in the Majlis. Hazrat Sultan Bahoo further says, “It seemed from the sacred face of Ameer-ul-Momineen Hazrat Ali Karam Allah Wajhu that the Lord of the Universe Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam will assign my oath taking to Hazrat Ali, as he was my very first means and accomplished instructor on the way of Faqr, but he remained silent. After a moment, Hazrat Mohammad Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam raised his both hands towards me and ordered, “hold my hands” then he took my oath of allegiance with his both hands and blessed me with Divine persuasion. Then, he instructed me to say , when I said it, at once, there remained no veils of ranks and stations. Hence the eternal beginning and the end were equalized for me (i.e. I was freed from time and space and returned to my origin, “Noor of Allah”, which is the extreme level of Faqr). After being honored by the instructions of the Holy Prophet Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam, the queen of the paradise Syeda-tu-Nisa Hazrat Fatima Alayha Salam said to me, “You are my spiritual son”. Then I kissed the feet of the Imams Hazrat Hassan and Hussain Alayhum Salam and entered in the circle of their slavery. (Manaqib-e-Sultani)
Now, after reading this extract of Sultan-ul-Arifeen the objection that the four righteous caliphs are not mentioned at the status of Sultan-ul-Faqr, should be removed. And it should also be understood that Faqr is not accomplished without the attention of the four spiritual leaders Hazrat Abu Bakar Siddique, Hazrat Umar, Hazrat Usman and Hazrat Ali Razi Allah Anhum.
Faqr and the Ahl e Bait
- Hazrat Mujjadad Alif Sani says:
There are two ways of union and meeting with Allah. One of them is the way of Prophethood. By this way, only the Prophets are connected and unified with Allah and this chain was sealed on the sacred personality of Prophet Mohammad Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam.
The second way is that of Walayat (sainthood). The people of this way are connected to Allah through waseela (mediator or means). This group consists of the sufi hierarchy of Qutbs, Otaads, Abdals, Nujaba (the nobles) and common Auliya. The mediator and the means of this way, is Hazrat Syedna Ali Karum Allah Wajhu. This highest rank is granted to his exalted personality. In this status, the sacred step of the Holy Prophet Hazrat Mohammad Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam is upon Hazrat Ali Karam Allah Wajhu’s head Hazrat Fatima-tuz-Zahra Alayha Salam and Husnain Kareemain Alayhum Salam share this status with Hazrat Ali Karam Allah Wajhu. (Letter no.123 from “Maktobat-e-Imam Rabbani)
Sultan-ul-Arifeen Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Bahoo Rehmat-ul-Allah Alayh describes this fact in these words:
- Hazrat Ali Karam Allah Wajhu found Faqr from the Holy Prophet Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam. (Ain-ul-Faqr, Mehek-ul-Faqr Kalan)
- Hazrat Mohammad Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam conferred Faqr upon Hazrat Ali Karam Allah Wajhu. (Jamia-ul-Asrar)
- The Pir of Fuqara (mystics) is Hazrat Ali Karam Allah Wajhu. (Jamia-ul-Asrar)
The intellectuals translate this Hadith of Holy Prophet as: “I am the city of knowledge and Ali is its door”, but Sultan-ul-Arifeen describes its meaning as “I am the city (hub-center) of Faqr and Ali is its baab (door)” that is why, Hazrat Ali karum Allah Wajhu is also remembered with the title of “Baab-e-Faqr”.
The Queen of the universe Hazrat Fatima-tuz-Zahra Alayha Salam has already been discussed as Sultan-ul-Faqr. Sultan-ul-Arifeen Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Bahoo says inJamia-ul-Asrar:
- Hazrat Fatima Alayha Salam was brought up in Faqr, nourished by Faqr and she possessed Faqr. Whoever, reaches Faqr, reaches by her ‘means’ only.
He says about Husnain Kareemain Alayhim Salam:
- The perfection in (Faqr is my pride) was only possessed by the sacred Imams, Hazrat Imam Hassan and Hazrat Imam Hussain Alayhim Salam, who are the beloveds of the Holy Prophet Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam and the Holy Queen of the paradise Hazrat Fatima Razi Allah Anha. (Mehek-ul-Faqr Kalan)
The above mentioned extracts clarify that, as regards the status of perfection in Faqr Fana Fillah Baqa Billah (annihilation in Allah and being immortal with Allah), these four sacred personalities Hazrat Ali, Hazrat Fatima, Hazrat Imam Hassan and Hazrat Imam Hussain Razi Allah Anhum cannot be differentiated from one another. They are one, same and unified, as all of them are annihilated in the Oneness of Allah so they have become one. As long as, the seeker of Allah does not have same perception about the status of these four personalities, he can never find even the fragrance of Faqr.
Faqr and the Sacred Companions of Holy Prophet
Did all the sacred companions of the Holy Prophet Razi Allah Anhum receive the blessing of Faqr? Answering this question Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Bahoo says:
- “Remember! after the sacred companions Razi Allah Anhum (the words “after the sacred companions” should be considered, it means, the sacred companions got the blessing of Faqr), the blessing and treasure of Faqr is granted to two men, the first one is Ghaus-ul-Azam Hazrat Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani Razi Allah Anhu and the second one is Hazrat Imam Abu Hanifa Kufi Rehmat-ul-Allah Alayh, who was a relinquisher of the world. He never missed any of his prayers or fasts till seventy years. Same perfection (in ) was received by the pious, adorer and mystic lady Hazrat Rabia Basri Rehmat-ul-Allah Alayha. (Mehek-ul-Faqr Kalan)
Above mentioned extract clarifies the fact that the sacred companions Razi Allah Anhum gained the blessing of Faqr according to their levels respectively. Afterwards, this blessing was conferred upon Ghaus-ul-Azam Hazrat Abdul Qadir Jilani, Hazrat Imam Abu Hanifa and Hazrat Rabia Basri. Now the objection that, whether the sacred companions, mystics or religious jurists have found Faqr or not, is answered through this piece of writing of Sultan-ul-Arifeen. One more piece of writing is presented below to answer the objections more clearly.
The belief of Sultan-ul-Arifeen Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Bahoo, as described in his book“Kaleed-ul-Tauheed Kalan”, is:
- Get to know, nobody can reach the spiritual levels mentioned below. If somebody claims to approach these levels, then he is surely a liar, conjurer and a fraud guide. These special six stages are given below:
- The verses of the Quran are never revealed upon anybody else except the Holy Prophet Hazrat Mohammad Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam.
- Hazrat Mohammad Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam is the seal of the messengers. No Wahi (revelation) can be revealed upon anybody else after him.
- Nobody can approach the extreme levels of Marifat-e-Elahiya (the Gnosis of Allah) except the Holy Prophet.
- Nobody can get Meraj (ascension) with his physical eyes at the levels of Qab-Qausain (extremity of nearness to Allah) except Hazoor Alayh Salat-o-Wasalam.
- Nobody except the sacred companions of the Holy Prophet Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam can reach the grades of As’hab-e-Sufah (the companions of Sufah), As’hab-e-Badar (the companions of Badar), As’hab-e-Kibar (the great companions) and all the other noble companions.
- Nobody can reach at the level of Ijtahad except the four Mujtahid Imams (interpretative leaders) of the four ijtahadi (interpretative) religions Hazrat Imam Abu Hanifa, Hazrat Imam Shafi, Hazrat Imam Maalik and Hazrat Imam Ahmad bin Hamble, and that, these four religions are rightful.
Above mentioned six levels which Sultan-ul-Arifeen stated, need not any comments. Each level is described clearly and explicitly. Especially, the explanation about the companions of the Holy Prophet, given by Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Bahoo, leaves no room for any kind of objection.
Among the daughters of the Holy Prophet Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam Hazrat Fatima-tuz-Zahra has got importance due to Faqr. She inherited the true asset of Faqr-e-Mohammadi from the Holy Prophet Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam. Due to this inheritance, her sacred children became Aal-e-Nabi (descendants of the Prophet). She became the first “Sultan-ul-Faqr”, so that, her excellence can be known to people, otherwise, she had not to perform the duty of spiritual instruction and education of the Ummah. Hazrat Ali Karam Allah Wajhu is “Baab-e-Faqr” because the heritage of Faqr was transferred to Ummah through him from the Holy Prophet Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam. Second Sultan-ul-Faqr is Hazrat Hassan Basri Razi Allahu Anhu .When Hazrat Ali Karam Allah Wajhu transferred the Trust of Faqr to him, this fact was proved that the asset of Faqr is not like a worldly inheritance which is transferred to one’s children only, otherwise Hassnain Kareemain Razi Allahu Anhum are at the perfection of Faqr and the second Sultan-ul-Faqr Khawaja Hassan Basri and the fifth Sultan-ul-Faqr Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Bahoo are proud of their slavery.
In short, the greatest blessing of Faqr was conferred upon the Holy Prophet Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam at the sacred night of Meraj (ascension). By the grace of the Holy Prophet Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam, this Divine blessing was granted to the highly glorious queen of the Paradise, Syeda-tu-Nisa Hazrat Fatima Zahra, while the Baab-e-Faqr Hazrat Ali Karam Allah Wajhu was given the Khirqah (robe) of Faqr. Faqr was transferred to Ummah, only through him. Then Hussnain Kareemain Alayhum Salam and the noble companions found Faqr according to their levels respectively. Among the whole Ummah of the Holy Prophet Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam, six other personalities were selected who were granted preference upon the others. They were crowned with a special rank in Faqr “Sultan-ul-Faqr”. Their peculiar sign is described below.
- Their sight is entirely Noor-e-Wahdat (the Light of Oneness) and Keemiya-e-Izzat (an alchemy of the Magnificence). On whom so ever, it is cast , he starts witnessing Zaat-e-Haq (The Divine Reality), as if, his entire being has been transferred into Noor-e-Mutliq (Absolute Light). They do not need to engage their disciples in the effort of superficial daily recitals or forty days seclusion for mystic communion. (Risala Roohi Sharif)
It means, they do not let the seekers of Allah indulge in the hard work of daily recitals and the forty days seclusion, rather their eyesight itself is a Noor (Light), on whom it casts, he also becomes Noor.
It is hoped that after this discussion, most of the doubts and misperceptions might be resolved. Although, one thing must be kept in mind, that the “complete authority of Faqr” is the Holy Prophet Sall’Allahu Alayhi Wa’alihi Wasallam, because Faqr is his real asset, and his Ahl-e-Bait (sacred family members) are the true inheritors of this heritage and the conveyers of it.
Among the seven Sultan-ul-Faqr and Syed-ul-Kaunain who are discussed by Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Bahoo in Risala Roohi Sharif, he revealed the names of five of these souls, who appeared in this world in their respective times and became the source of blessing and beneficence for the masses. On the life history of these five souls, a lot of eulogies, journals, books and periodicals have been written and they do not need to be introduced. However, the names of the two souls who would come in future were kept secret. One of them has graced this world with his sacred presence. Lacs of people of this age have been blessed with his Ziyarat (sacred sight), company and slavery. His name is Sultan-ul-Faqr sixth Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Mohammad Asghar Ali Rehmat-ul-Allah Alayh.
On Friday, 14th August 1947 (27th Ramadan-ul-Mubarik 1366 Hijri), he was born and on 26th December, 2003 (02 Ziqa’ad 1424 hijri) Friday, he died. Sultan ul Ashiqeen Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Mohammad Najib-ur-Rehman Madzillah-ul-Aqdus has written a book on his life history and teachings “Mujtaba Akhir Zamani”.
Please visit www.sultanulfaqr.com to explore the life history of all the Six sultan-ul-Faqr.