The Grandeur of Sultan-ul-Faqr
Allah Almighty says in a Qudsi Hadith:
“Some of My Saints are under My Cloak, no one knows them except Me.”
Hence, there are Saints among us whose grandeur and status is in veil from Allah’s creation. On the other hand there are Saints whose grandeur Allah not only reveals but also keeps on increasing. Until doomsday their status will keep escalating. Among such Saints the highest status is of Sultan-ul-Faqr. They are distinguished among all the Saints and their step is upon the heads of all the Saints of Allah, al-Ghawth and al-Qutb. Their rank is the highest in excellence in Oneness with Allah.
Statement of Risala Roohi Sharif
Sultan Bahoo first of all disclosed this secret. He expounds in his famous writing Risala Roohi Sharif about these souls:
“Know! When the Divine light of Ahad (the One), coming out of His isolated Oneness, intended to manifest Himself in multiplicity, He graced (all the worlds) with the splendid disclosure of His pure Divine beauty.
Both the realms started burning like a moth on the candle of His blazing beauty. The light of Ahad concealed in the veil of ‘M’ of Ahmad manifested Himself as Ahmad. He then shook Himself seven times due to the abundance of Divine passion and will, with which seven purified souls of Fakirs, annihilated in Allah, immortal with Allah, absorbed in the contemplation of the Essence, all core without any flesh or body, drowned in the unfathomed ocean of the Divine beauty appeared on the eternal tree of pure transparent belief seventy thousand years before the birth of Adam.
Neither they saw anything except the Divine Essence since pre-existence till eternity, nor did they hear anyone other than Allah. They ever remained such an ocean of union in the Divine sanctuary which has no decline. At times, they endeavoured for sanctity and transcendence with their body of light. At times they are a drop in the ocean and at times the ocean in a drop. They are blessed with the cover of beneficence of “When Faqr is accomplished that is Allah.” Hence, they have an eternal life and are honoured and exalted with the crown of “Faqr demands nothing from Allah or anyone other than Allah.” (Risala Roohi Sharif)
The Reality of Sultan-ul-Faqr
The excellence of Sultan-ul-Faqr souls in words of Sultan Bahoo as written in numerous of his books:
Reality in Risala Roohi Sharif
“They have their steps on the heads of all the Saints, al-Ghawth and al-Qutb. It is absolutely correct to call them God, and if they are called men of God, it is fine as well. Only those who recognize them know this secret. Their station is Divine sanctuary of the Magnificent. They never requested for anything from Allah except Allah Himself. They never paid any heed towards the petty world, the blessings of hereafter or the houris and castles of heaven. The sole theophany with which Prophet Moses got perplexed and the Mount Sinai crushed into pieces, the same theophany of passions and lights of the Essence descend upon them seventy thousand times every moment, yet they do not object or lament. Rather they utter, “Is there any more!” They are the Sultan-ul-Faqr (Sultan of Faqr) and the lord of all the worlds.” (Risala Roohi Sharif)
Reality of Sultan-ul-Faqr in Sultan Bahoo’s book Jamia-ul-Asrar
When the Holy Prophet went for Miraj, he mounted al-buraq and Angel Gabriel showed him both the realms adorned and decorated in every aspect as well as eighteen thousand kinds of creatures in them, but the Holy Prophet did not pay any heed to them. As Allah says:
- مَا زَاغَ الْبَصَرُ وَمَا طَغٰی(58:17)
Meaning: His eye neither inclined aside (from Divine vision) nor overstepped the limit. (58:17)
The same situation was maintained throughout the higher and lower stations. That is why, he reached the station of extreme nearness to Allah (Qab Qausain) and there was only a thin veil like the membrane of an onion left between the two.
When the beloved came absolutely nearest, there was the Divine call, “O My beloved! I sacrificed both the worlds upon you and let you have the view of the eighteen thousand realms of both the worlds and which thing in these worlds you like the most that would be granted to you.” The Holy Prophet replied, “O Allah! Confer Faqr upon me because nothing has got such nearness and annihilation in You as Faqr has and such a closeness cannot be attained through anything else.” This very ‘Faqr’ is Sultan-ul-Faqr. The person who beholds such Faqr exoterically and esoterically becomes a man of Divine command and the Mohammadan reality dominates him. (Jamia-ul-Asrar)
Statement of Taufeeq-ul-Hidayat
- Comprehend that everyone among the Prophets, Companions and Saints requested Allah for different ranks of gnosis of Faqr but none other than Prophet Mohammad reached the perfection of Faqr. Moreover nobody else stepped at the extreme level of Sultan of Faqr. Although, by the order of Allah and permission of the Holy Prophet, Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani accomplished all the initial and extreme levels of Faqr and Sultan-ul-Faqr and he possessed them and had control over them (to bless others). (Taufeeq-ul-Hidayat)
The Grandeur of Sultan-ul-Faqr
Sultan Bahoo says in his books while describing their grandeur:
- You must know that the origin of Sultan-ul-Faqr souls is the non-creation light of faith while their ultimacy is the non-creation Divine light of the Rehman. (Qurb-e-Deedar)
- The Divine light of Sultan-ul-Faqr is brighter than the sun and its scent is more fragrant than the scent of rose and ambergris. Moreover whoever finds the blessing and the privilege to behold the Sultan-ul-Faqr in dream, becomes independent of all desires. The Holy Prophet takes oath of allegiance from him and guides and educates him esoterically. My words are according to my experience. (Kaleed-ul-Tauheed Kalan)
- Only one out of thousands acquires the real gnosis of Sultan-ul-Faqr by attaining the union of exact Divine beauty, being blessed with the highest levels of Faqr and witnessing it personally. Whereas most of the people just guise themselves as the people of Faqr, only one out of thousands is accomplished in Faqr. What exactly is Faqr? Faqr is the Divine light whose name is Sultan-ul-Faqr and is always desirable in the court of Allah and favoured by Him. (Ameer-ul-Kaunain)
From aforementioned quotes of Sultan Bahoo, it is clear that Sultan-ul-Faqr souls always comply with Divine commands and submit to each and every will of Allah. Allah Himself picked them as the exalted of all. In every trial and difficulty they follow His commands. They are annihilated (fana) in the Divine Essence.
Beautiful words of Allama Iqbal
Like Allama Iqbal has said:
از رموز جزو و کل آگہ بود
در جہان قائم بامر اللہ بود
Explanation: He (the Universal Divine Man – al-Insan al-Kamil) knows every small to complex secrets of this universe and Allah appoints him.
The Sultan of Mystics, Sultan Bahoo says in his books:
- Allah said, “O Mohammad! I conferred the status of Sultan-ul-Faqr upon you and the People of Cloak (Ahl al-Bayt) as well as upon your Fakirs and your pure and pious followers.” The Holy Prophet thanked Allah thousand times. (Jamia-ul-Asrar)
Without a doubt, Allah conferred the blessing of Faqr on the Mohammadan nation through Prophet Mohammad (peace be upon him). In true sense, Faqr is the real Islam. The treasure of Faqr was passed by the Holy Prophet and in this link or chain there are seven souls which reached the peak of Faqr.
Names of Sultan-ul-Faqr
While revealing their names, Sultan Bahoo has said:
- One of them is the sacred soul of the queen of doomsday (Fatimah bint Mohammad).
- Second among them is the sacred soul of Hasan of Basra.
- The third soul is our spiritual guide, the reality of Truth, the absolute light, the exact manifestation of Truth, the beloved of Allah, Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani.
- Fourth is the soul of sultan of Divine light and secret of the eternal Divine Self, Shaikh Sayyid Abdul Razzaq Jilani son of Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani.
- The fifth soul is the eye of Hoo, the secret of secrets of the Divine Essence, annihilated in Hoo Fakir Bahoo.
Two among them are the souls of other Mystics. Importantly, both the realms owe their stability to the dignity of these two sacred souls. Unless these two souls manifest in the world of diversity, coming out of the abode of Oneness, the doomsday will not occur. Their sight is absolutely the Divine light of Unity and the alchemy of honour. On whomsoever the reflection of their hidden reality falls, his whole being transforms into absolute light. Furthermore, they do not need to engage their disciples in the struggle of superficial daily recitals and mystic exercises. (Risala Roohi Sharif)
The sixth soul has graced this world in Sultan Mohammad Asghar Ali. He has made Ism-e-Allah Zaat available for all the people. First it was for special few but he distributed its beneficence to everyone. This was according to the requirements of the age. He said:
- Now people do not have much time to work hard, maintain forty days seclusion or do mystic practices to progress in the path of Faqr, renouncing the worldly life. Therefore, we have spread the beneficence of Ism-e-Allah Zaat for the recognition and closeness of Allah. (Sultan-ul-Faqr VI Sultan Mohammad Asghar Ali – Life and Teachings)
Sultan-ul-Faqr VI Sultan Mohammad Asghar Ali transferred the treasure of Faqr on approval of the Holy Prophet to Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen Sultan Mohammad Najib-ur-Rehman. Importantly, the way Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen has spread the teachings of Faqr is exemplary. Sultan Mohammad Asghar Ali said about Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen.
“I am title of Faqr and he (Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen) is its detail.”
Title and Detail of Faqr
There is no doubt that Sultan Mohammad Asghar Ali is Sultan-ul-Faqr VI. Though he is stationed at the exalted rank of Sultan-ul-Faqr, still he called himself the ‘title’ of Faqr. From the aforementioned words of Sultan-ul-Faqr VI one could easily grasp the fact that the bearer of Divine Trust in this age is Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen. Without a doubt he is the king of Faqr. The steps taken by Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen to spread Sarwari Qadri teachings are revolutionary. Few of his marvels are mentioned below which verify the statement of Sultan-ul-Faqr VI Sultan Mohammad Asghar Ali.
King of invocations ‘Hoo ھُو’
- Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen is the first seeker of Allah upon whom Sultan-ul-Faqr VI conferred the king of invocations ‘Hoo’ (Sultan-ul-Azkar ھُو). Before Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen, the disciples used to receive only the first stage of invocation while pledging allegiance. All the previous spiritual leaders of Sarwari Qadri order also granted the invocation of Ism-e-Allah Zaat in four stages. Among all the disciples of Sultan-ul-Faqr VI, Sultan ul Ashiqeen is the first one to receive the king of invocations ‘Hoo’. Without a doubt this implies that Sultan-ul-Faqr VI wrote the title of a new chapter of Faqr. The detail of this chapter lies in the fact that the disciples of Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen receive the king of invocations ‘Hoo’ on the first day of pledging allegiance.
Gold Ism-e-Allah Zaat
- Sayyid Mohammad Bahadur Ali Shah is the 28th spiritual leader of Sarwari Qadri Initially, he was the first one to make gold Ism-e-Allah Zaat in 1934. There were none in the time of Sultan Mohammad Abdul Aziz (the 29th spiritual leader of Sarwari Qadri order). Yet nothing in the early period of Sultan-ul-Faqr Sultan Mohammad Asghar Ali. Till 1999, he used to give printed Ism-e-Allah Zaat to his disciples for invocation and contemplation. Nobody ever discussed anything about gold Ism-e-Allah Zaat until Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen’s arrival in the court of his spiritual guide. Sultan-ul-Faqr VI assigned Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen the auspicious service of getting the gold as well as the regular Ism-e-Allah Zaat made. This also proves the fact that he is the detail of Faqr. Moreover, this detail further elaborated in the form that Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen after acceding the throne of Divine guidance and persuasion gave gold Ism-e-Allah Zaat to both devotes who pledged allegiance to him or who received Ism-e-Allah Zaat without pledging allegiance.
- Sultan-ul-Faqr VI gave contemplation of Ism-e-Mohammad (the sacred name of Prophet Mohammad peace be upon him) specifically to Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen. He did not give it to any other disciple. To be precise, he gave it to him on 6th December 2003, at the house of Mohsin Sultan. It was a few days before his death (26th December, 2003). Sayyid Bahadur Ali Shah had granted the same Ism-e-Mohammad to his successor, Sultan Mohammad Abdul Aziz. Later, Sultan Abdul Aziz transferred it to his son and spiritual heir Sultan Mohammad Asghar Ali who gave it to Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen. The ultimate transference of the same inherited Ism-e-Mohammad to Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen is an evidence that he is the bearer of Divine Trust. After granting Ism-e-Mohammad to Sultan Mohammad Najib-ur-Rehman, Sultan Mohammad Asghar Ali ordered him to prepare the gold Ism-e-Mohammad. He asked him to get it made particularly on the same original pattern and grant to other seekers of Allah. This is another detail to the topic of Faqr.
Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen not only got gold Ism-e-Mohammad prepared but also granted it to those of his disciples who progressed in the invocation and contemplation of Ism-e-Allah Zaat. This was the first time that beneficence of Ism-e-Mohammad was made common and many were granted presence in the Mohammadan Assembly. He distributes Ism-e-Mohammad twice every year. Once on the auspicious occasion of Mawlid and other on 21st March when his spiritual guide transferred the Trust of Faqr to him.
Success in publishing
- Sultan-ul-Faqr VI assigned Sultan Mohammad Najib-ur-Rehman the duty to establish the publishing department ‘Maktaba Al-Arifeen’. He also assigned the duty of publishing the monthly magazine Mirat-ul-Arifeen Lahore. Along with the duty of magazine he published following books:
- Guldasta Taleemat-e-Sultan Bahoo
- Swaneh Hayat Sultan Bahoo
- Risala Roohi Sharif
- Haqeeqat-e-Ism-e-Allah Zaat
- Guldasta Abyat-o-Manajaat Pir Mohammad Bahadur Ali Shah
Assigning these duties were symbolizing a chapter of future in the shape of following efforts of Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen.
Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen laid the foundation of Sultan-ul-Faqr Publications (regd.) in August 2006. This banner published both English and Urdu translations of Sultan Bahoo’s books. He himself is the author of many books on Sufism and Faqr in Urdu language. This department also published English translations. Moreover, this prestigious department also publishes biography, teachings and Mystic poetry of Sarwari Qadri spiritual guides after a lot of research. All of this is not only available in the form of book but e-books also throughout the web keeping in view the requirements of modern age. To spread the message of Faqr in every home many websites are also available and the article you are reading is an example.
Online oath of allegiance
- There were many disciples of Sultan-ul-Faqr VI but Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen’s disciples are more in number. They are also from around the globe and are entering the circle of his disciples through the facility of online oath of allegiance. Moreover, many non-Muslims have accepted Islam because of him.
The aforementioned points are enough to clear the fact that Sultan-ul-Faqr VI was the title of Faqr and Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen is its complete detail. Therefore, Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen is stationed at exalted ranks of Faqr.
Who can understand the grandeur of Sultan-ul-Faqr
To comprehend the grandeur of Sultan-ul-Faqr is not possible by everyone. It is the perfect and accomplished spiritual guide of Sarwari Qadri order who bestows with light to understand their glory. Intellect only finds flaws whereas Divine love makes one witness wonders. Many people close to Prophet Mohammad (peace be upon him) could not understand his reality whereas Uwais al-Qarani understood despite the fact that he was physically away.
Sultan Bahoo says:
- Only that person is familiar to the stations of Faqr who has approached Faqr, relished Faqr and has adopted Faqr as well as seen Sultan-ul-Faqr with his own eyes. (Asrar-e-Qadri)
- One cannot achieve the levels of Faqr unless Sultan-ul-Faqr who is the unique manifestation of Divine secrets embraces him esoterically and graces him with his sacred view, mystical knowledge and persuasion. Even if a person is exhausted by mystic struggle, he cannot smell Faqr as long as Sultan-ul-Faqr does not allow him, as the esoteric form of Sultan-ul-Faqr ever remains present in the Mohammadan Assembly. (Mehak-ul-Faqr Kalan)
- The company of Sultan-ul-Faqr is actually the ocean of Divine Oneness. Whoever reaches the bank of this ocean becomes a man of Divine closeness. (Mohkim-ul-Fuqara)
To witness the splendour of Sultan-ul-Faqr is only possible for those who only seek Allah. The seekers of world and hereafter are blind to this. This darkness converts to light when they submit humbly in the court of the perfect and accomplished spiritual guide who is the bearer of the treasure of Faqr. Moreover they desire purely for Almighty Allah. Only then Allah bestows them with the blessing of Faqr.
Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen is the Universal Divine Man (al-Insan al-Kamil) of the present era and the perfect and accomplished spiritual guide. He unveiled the Divine reality and Truth of his spiritual guide, Sultan-ul-Faqr VI on people. Moreover, through Divine observations, the disciples of Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen witnessed his reality. He is at exalted heights of Faqr and is the reviver of religion. Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen has brought revolutionary changes in Faqr and Sufism. I pray to Almighty that he may bestow us with his favour to comprehend the glory of our guide, Sultan-ul-Ashiqeen.
This blog is English translation of an Urdu article of the magazine ‘Mahnama Sultan-ul-Faqr Lahore’ for the month of August, 2019. The title of the Urdu article is:
شان سلطان الفقر | Shan Sultan-ul-Faqr
Originally penned by Hafiz Waqar Ahmad Sarwari Qadri from Lahore is presently in English by Sahibzadi Muneeza Najib Sarwari Qadri exclusively for the website. Do not forget to visit the original article to which you only have to click the link
Do leave a comment or query as we would like to hear from you and for support please hit the like button.